Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palaemonetes vulgaris

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If they are tiny enough maybe but I've always seen them as a high/mid water column fish. The shrimp can be good clean crew if left alone. Often people get them for feeding picky fish like Lions, angler, etc.

    Have you looked at dottybacks. Either ora indigo, springeri are calmer. The typical orange and blue are meaner. But at least in a bit tank i love their spunky personality. But most of my fish bigger or meaner. I suppose in your tank some risk of them bothering some fish. They sure would eat your shrimp for you.


    you might even try one of the tiny species of mantis shrimp. Kept one in a 210 with no issues. Maybe occasionally eat a snail but mainly got hand fed. Sadly in my current tank my tusk and trigger would eat.

    Comment


    • #17
      I like the Bicolor Dottybacks, but the wife and kids aren't all that enamored with them. If nothing else, the shrimp will be a good cleanup crew and I'll give some away. I'm not all that familiar with Basslets, but I've been bass fishing all my life. They seem to eat anything they can fit in their mouths.

      Comment


      • #18
        Cardinals will eat anything that they can fit in their mouth. I don't think that they will stalk down their prey and all of that, but they will definitely eat them if they can. They probably cannot get the big ones, but they don't start out that way.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Crowther View Post
          I like the Bicolor Dottybacks, but the wife and kids aren't all that enamored with them. If nothing else, the shrimp will be a good cleanup crew and I'll give some away. I'm not all that familiar with Basslets, but I've been bass fishing all my life. They seem to eat anything they can fit in their mouths.
          Have them watch some videos. Like i said half their charm is there seeing and personality.

          The small saltwater ones are mixed, the chalk are really docile. Others eat everything. With salt you have to deal with a lot of fish that won't eat something but will harass them to death.

          Kinda like how a lionfish isn't aggressive but eats anything small. But a small damsel can bully a fish 3x it's size to death.



          I'm game if you want to see the big tank and see some of the fish i have in a few weeks. Need to get a few pests under control but finally winning against a crazy mutant hair algae nothing will eat.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Fitz19d View Post

            Have them watch some videos. Like i said half their charm is there seeing and personality.

            The small saltwater ones are mixed, the chalk are really docile. Others eat everything. With salt you have to deal with a lot of fish that won't eat something but will harass them to death.

            Kinda like how a lionfish isn't aggressive but eats anything small. But a small damsel can bully a fish 3x it's size to death.



            I'm game if you want to see the big tank and see some of the fish i have in a few weeks. Need to get a few pests under control but finally winning against a crazy mutant hair algae nothing will eat.
            Sounds like a plan. Good luck with the hair algae thing.

            Comment


            • #21
              I'm about to order some more of these guys. If anyone else wants to get in, let me know. The more I order, the cheaper it gets per shrimp.

              Comment


              • #22
                How much are they?

                Comment


                • #23
                  250 for $86

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I want about 100 or so.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I was doing some research on their requirements and found this.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Didn't see what the shipping was though.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Crowther, im nearby in Frederick, could do basically halfsies and get $40 of them from you?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Crowther View Post
                            I'm about to order some more of these guys. If anyone else wants to get in, let me know. The more I order, the cheaper it gets per shrimp.
                            I could chip in for some if you still have extras.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Cool. I'll pull the trigger and get some for me, Fitz, and Neil then. If anyone else wants some, let me know quick.

                              Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Know a arrival date yet? I'm available evenings and weekends.

                                Comment

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 212 users online. 8 members and 204 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 783 at 05:59 AM on January 2nd, 2013.

                                Working...
                                X