No announcement yet.

RKL+ALC+Kessil a360w+SPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With LPS I never bother with a drip or slow change, but I do with SPS as I did have some RTN if the source had different alk. Rather than take the time to test, I always drip acclimate (technically I do it in surges removing 25% and dumping that then filling back to top with tank water while floating) every 10 minutes for an hour or two. I follow that with a 5 minute dip of just coral rx for SPS. For LPS, I do 15 minutes and I also do a 1:5 rodi to hydrogen peroxide dip too for 5 minutes.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double logarithmic diagram.

Comment

If you loose it and want to try it again let me know... I have several frags from mine that I had to trim down.

Comment

I might take up Dr.DiDilicate on the offer since he is closer, DJBM3. Is there anything I can do to save the one branch that is still healthy or is it a colony wide disaster like Roanoke? Additionally the dying frag is superglued in, what is the best way to remove it?

Comment

I've had luck cutting off the dead tissue with a bone cutter to prevent the spread to the rest of the colony in the past.

The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double logarithmic diagram.

Comment

I went ahead and removed it from the tank. I tested the water this morning since I do a water change on thursdays and I noticed that ammonia had gone up to 0.1 ppm. The only part that looked healthy still was only a centimeter long. I could not justify saving it.

Comment

So after what I have read in this thread, can I even keep high light demand corals such as acropora, stylophora, and pocillopora with my Kessils? These are the corals that I really want to keep eventually, and I would be disappointed if my Kessils will simply not put out enough light to grow them and keep them healthy. I'm not too concerned about rate of growth as the plan is to keep this tank going until I finish college, and then transfer everything to a larger tank once I get a well paying job. I jut simply want to know if I can even keep them alive.

Comment

There are Many sps tanks lit by kessils. You will be fine
                29 gallon biocube thread http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...ad.php?t=22586

Comment

Thanks Balz3352

Comment

I think this is a fairly new set up isn't it? My thought would be that the tank just might not be "mature" enough. Defining maturity is a vague science at best...(some say a year, some say 2 years, some say 5+), but there just seems to be something about SPS in brand new setups....just a thought, not saying there is a right way and wrong way to go about it.

Comment

Well this tank began cycling in January. I began stocking 14 weeks ago. Even after adding the anthias and the large amount of food they need I didn't notice any ammonia spikes. So the biologic filter is there.

Comment

That very well could be the problem. I had a heck of a time even with montipora until my tank hit the year mark even with perfect parameters (although I didn't have a phosphate test at the time so that could have been high and likely was).

Comment

Is that one year since cycle or one year since stocking?

Comment

That was one year after I moved a cycled and lightly stocked tank to a new house and added 30lbs of cured live rock to the 30 lbs I had before the move. Never had an issue with RTN just no growth until about the year mark. When I did have problems with RTN later (tank probably 2.5 to 3 years old at that point) once was due to flatworms and the other time was high phosphates.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 375 users online. 39 members and 336 guests.

Most users ever online was 783 at 05:59 AM on January 2nd, 2013.

Working...
                            X