Announcement

Collapse

Upcoming site maintenance

Site will be down for maintenance starting at 8am MST on Monday September 25th

We will be doing a full revamp of the site and its software, and as such we will need to take the site down for an extended period while we make the switch.
See the following thread for more info : http://www.marinecolorado.org/forum/...oing-to-change

Thank you for your cooperation!
MASC BOD
See more
See less

Next step ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next step ...

Ok so got my tank up and going after lots of trips to home depot and lots of money ... as you all know. So I've got everything cycling and watching my ammonia levels and if I stay stable will add a fish next weekend. I have some fritz turbo start 900 but it says to not use protien skimmer... is that just for like 24hrs or what? Any experience with this will be very helpful.

But after I add a fish when do I want to add clean up crew? And how much do I add? Do I start small ? Also when would you add coral?

Even though it sucks to have an empty tank, I would not add any fish for at least a month after ammonia stabilizes.

What I would do instead is once ammonia is stable add a small cleanup crew of snails (about 1/4 the recommended amount for your tank size) to help you with cleaning up the algae bloom that will happen very soon.

Once the algea bloom has finished and your ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and phosphates are all within proper ranges for at least a week straight, then you can add 1 or 2 fish. Quarantine all other fish you add for 2 weeks to 1 month and add them slowly.

For coral, wait until at least the 3 month mark to add easy corals like zoas, mushrooms, torches, etc. and make sure your alk Ca and Mg are all stable and in the correct ranges before doing so. For more difficult corals including sps, you need a very mature tank past the 1 year mark to have any success.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double logarithmic diagram.

Comment

Please listen to the advice. Watching an empty tank is much better than dropping money and watching a dead fish. There are a million reasons. And no, the skimmer shouldn't be used until its got something to skim. It will work out great for you if you utilize these forums as a guide. Best of luck

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't forget to pee in it. Makes turbo start work even better. And yes give it time nothing good happens fast

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Id personally quarantine longer than 2 weeks. Id look up a quarantine procedure and go with that but other than that guys are pretty spot on
          29 gallon biocube thread http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...ad.php?t=22586

Comment

Thank you all.

Comment

Ammonia is only the first stage of a cycle and any fish added is this point is most sacrificial and not recommended.
              The next part is the nitrites/nitrates which can take a month or more. There are ways to speed it up but always best to just let nature do its things naturally imo. Study up on the saltwater nitrogen cycle, test for it, and be patient. With saltwater it can take a year or more to fully mature the cycle.

As for first added to tank, if you started with dry rock, add a piece of mature live rock first, otherwise, I'd add a crab or two and 2-3 snails to start once the nitrate levels start to fall. Once algae starts to appear on the rocks, I'd add a few more cleaners and then go from there

What is your plan for fish/ corals in this tank? If you dont have a plan already, I would spend the time during the cycle, making one. Figure out the two or three things you want to keep the most and build the tank around them.
              http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...ront-tank-buld

Comment

So I started my tank with 80+ lbs of mature live rock and li e sand. Everything has been fine so far but after reading more just kinda waiting for an Algae bloom then see where I sit. My nitrate levels with the strip tests look low to 0 but kinda hard to tell with them. What test kit should I get?

so my goal for fish / coral is basically want clowns, blue hippo for the kiddo tge basic nemo stuff. Like yellow tang and mandarin etc. I don't know all the fish yet... and don't know all the different coral I guess so as are pretty easy? And poops? Also I'd like a tentacle anemone...

don't know when but some seahorses or snowflake eel would also be something I'd like ...

let me know what you think of my plans... or suggestions would be much appreciated

Comment

Seahorses usually require a species only tank. Fairly high maintenance.

Salifert and hanna are the test kits I recommend personally for everything.
                  29 gallon biocube thread http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...ad.php?t=22586

Comment

I would recommend API for ammonia and nitrite since it's super cheap. For everything else (you need KH, Ca, Mg, phosphate, and nitrate) go with red sea, salifert, or hanna.

The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double logarithmic diagram.

Comment

You didn't list the size of your tank (or I'm blind). That will make a huge difference on our advice on your stocking list.

Comment

I hope its near the 200g mark if you want a hippo, these are not for small tanks. They might start out small but that only last a few months as they grow pretty quick. Yellows also need a minimum 6' tank
                        I think you need to spend sometime researching want you really want and what it takes to care for each of those fish over their whole lifetime
                        A good place to start looking is Live Aquaria. Lots of fish to look at, and they generally do a good job of listing some of the requirements for each kind. Figure out the one signature fish you want in your tank. Find one that fits with your tank size, and then do a bit more research about caring for them long term. Once you figure that out, look at the other tank mates. Research each one and make sure they are compatible with the signature fish you chose.
                        http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...ront-tank-buld

Comment

What size tank do you have?
                          60G Cube, 20G tall sump (DIY): 6 Blue/Green Chromis, 2 Wyoming White Clown, 1 Fire Fish, 1 Royal Gramma.
                          Softball sized Hammer Head, 2 Quarter Sized Zoa's, 1 Baseball Sized Flower Pot, 1 Green Rainbow BTA

Comment

My best option for you is go to live aquaria.com and look at all the fish you want and build a list and post it here. We can give you advice on what will work with each other and which ones to start off first. If you start off with an aggressive fish first they won't let you put anything else in your tank unless its big.
                            60G Cube, 20G tall sump (DIY): 6 Blue/Green Chromis, 2 Wyoming White Clown, 1 Fire Fish, 1 Royal Gramma.
                            Softball sized Hammer Head, 2 Quarter Sized Zoa's, 1 Baseball Sized Flower Pot, 1 Green Rainbow BTA

Comment

I have a 72gallon bow front

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 272 users online. 15 members and 257 guests.

Most users ever online was 1,306 at 4 days ago on 4 days ago.

Working...
                              X