1 fish dead another almost (Dosing seaklear)

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
So I have a phosphate problem and I tried using seaklear to bring it down the first 2 nights I had no issues yesterday i wake up to find a yellow tang lying on the sand dead today i wake to my linear blenny laying on the sand almost dead I have stopped the sea klear I was dripping it into a 5 micron sock like your supposed to do its wierd both fish look like they have internal bleeding (brown patches) It looks like I just going to tear down my 210 and start over I'm sooo frustrated

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear this! I know nuthin' about seaklear, but I'll definitely avoid it in the future. And I agree with Craigar- big water changes until things are looking better. Maybe an airstone or two, also.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
has anyone turned a old canister style filter into a reactor? I have an old eheim laying around I could use it has all the foam and baskets but the pump is shot I was thinking about using a universal pump to push water through it?

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
rings343;260093 said:
has anyone turned a old canister style filter into a reactor? I have an old eheim laying around I could use it has all the foam and baskets but the pump is shot I was thinking about using a universal pump to push water through it?
yeah i heard of someone who did that and its working for them

ialtalal

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
rings343;260090 said:
I started a diy biopellet reactor at the same time I am going to aquamart to get a cadlights reactor today
cadlights reactor is good or a reef octopus is even better with a mag9. and if you planning to buy the cadlights make sure you buy the pellets that are recommended by cadlights on their web because usually any other ones may not tumble and then your reactor wont be working properly

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is manageable., but it will take some time.

What kind of sand do you have - silica or aragonite?
Do you vacuum your sand during water changes?
What are your nitrate levels?
What kind of skimmer do you have?

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I run aragonite I don't really ever vacuum the sand I have a bunch of sand sifter's I haven't checked nitrate I will at lunch and I have a swc250 skimmer

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sorry to hear that man when i had a phosphate prob on my 125 it was like 5ppm cuz i used tap water to start the tank haha i used a thing called Phosphate RX by Blue life elite reef has them it clouds up your water a little but goes away fast i did not have any coral or fish die at all during a 2 week phosphate battle got it down to 0.05 with no water changes.but a reactor is good thing to maintain low phosphates just watch your oxygen lvls when using pellets the tend to drop oxygen.have you thought about using GFO?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Post the fresh nitrate and phosphate numbers, if you don't mind and we can figure out a plan.

I personally don't think that lanthanium is the answer, but to each their own. In any case, there are other options that are easy and tried-and-true, but they will take some time... need to know the nitrate numbers to see how well carbon will work.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
rings343;260093 said:
What model ehiem? I have one you could have...pump works but needs oring and hoses. Maybe between the two it would be complete. I should be home tonight. I will have to dig it out.

Also have a TLF 150 reactor I could let go for $20.