120 breakdown and rebuild

Highclimber23

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plans are too clean tank, I have some cerium oxide to polish inside of tank. Going to get all new plumbing, a new bashea sump, and new reef octopus skimmer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aii...... not something I would risk long term. It may not immediately have problems but it's a little extra strain. Depending on setup I would try and find some way of adding a little more bracing. (Weather you get a ugly simple quick grip clamp vs actually getting a new acylic brace carefully measured and placed.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I think Vince at Great White Aquatics (fishguy69 on MASC) used to be able to order in a whole new top frame with the center bracket. Other shops may be able to order it as well. If you are going through a tank restoration, and you are going to the effort of polishing it up with cerium oxide I think it's a fast simple fix that will provide piece of mind for the long term. Especially since you just had a flood, I'd be weary of having another down the line. Saltwater weighs 8.6 pounds per gallon, so you are looking at over 1000lbs of water sitting behind that glass.

Just something to think about, I'd hate to see you get back up and running only to have another failure (like a seam rupture).

Highclimber23

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya I was gonna use a piece of acrylic to join the two, but also I've been looking for another 120 and if fairly priced might just ditch the old one.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Highclimber23;n664755 said:
Ya I was gonna use a piece of acrylic to join the two, but also I've been looking for another 120 and if fairly priced might just ditch the old one.
Good move, I say buy it even if it means holding off on the new skimmer or something else. Like my high school home-ec teacher told me once, you can't make chicken soup from chicken poop!

Highclimber23

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
So now I happen to have a 120 gallon reef ready tank, canopy, stand, sump, skimmer and other stuff for sale if anybody is interested.