Metal halide lighting discussion

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
It sounds like there are a few of us that are going to start running MH lights. I personally have very limited experience with MH lighting so I am starting this thread to facilitate conversation, questions, and personal experiences. Special thanks to @jda123 for answering my questions up to this point. I know there are plenty of these threads out on the national forums, but let's have our own for us local reefers here in CO.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I just picked up 3 Reef Brite 15” pendants with the leds on the side. Came with 400watt ballasts but my tank is only 21” deep so I’m sure I’ll have to buy 250’s.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
@JuanGutz did you start yours today? If so that makes 3 of us converting to MH in 1 day!

@TheRealChrisBrown Yup it’s plugged in but going have to see the par levels to determine if I’ll keep it at 400watts. If I have to go down to 250 I’ll have to wait till I can buy a new ballast and bulb. Last night the par actually didn’t seem overly high but the temp rose pretty quickly.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anybody feel free to PM or post and I can help with just about any MH question. Always happy to help or demonstrate on my tanks or loan out some spare units for testing and stuff.

Most MH heat can be easily mitigated in this climate by a simple fan that comes on with the light. Don't get cute and use a temp controller to wait until the temp starts to rise... you are already behind when this happens. I just turn on a fan with the light and my tanks never raise more than .1 or .2 even with no AC in July. I use a three-speed vornado and turn it up in the summer and down or off in the winter. In the winter the heaters will still run with the MH on.