1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

150 Tall suggestions

Discussion in 'General Reefkeeping Discussion' started by TheRealChrisBrown, Sep 24, 2018.

1. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I am going to be doing a tank swap soon, and I'll have my 150 tall empty. I could sell it, but it has many scratches and a chip on the front corner glass. I'd probably be giving it away for next to nothing because of the condition, so I was wondering it I could put it to other uses.

What else can I do with it? Something I could add to my sump room in some way? I don't want to set it up as a reef because I don't want to light it with full on reef lighting. Maybe a cryptic zone or true dedicated refugium? Maybe a live rock storage vat? I can hook it up inline in sump room so heating and lower flow shouldn't be an issue.

I need ideas, what do you got?

2. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

A Deep sand/mud bed with mangroves might be sweet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

3. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

A cryptic fuge filled with rock and sponges would be pretty effective. No need to light it or anything

4. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I can look into that, I've tried mangroves once and had no luck. Ideally I was thinking little to no added maintenance...

With a DSB I'd be worried it would turn into a detritus trap that I'd have to clean all the time.

5. TheRealChrisBrown

Is that what you have going on to the right of your main tank....by your computers?

6. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

No the one with rock will be qt eventually it's just keep it live, but the 210 under the stairs has half of it designated as a cryptic fuge. I built the tile counter top over that part of the tank. The drains flow into it before hitting the equipment chambers

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  7. halmus

halmus Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

If you’re open to stocking another tank, I vote for a non-photosynthetic tank. Wouldn’t take any fancy lighting.

Otherwise, the cryptic tank option sounds good.

8. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

9. TheRealChrisBrown

It wouldn't be hard to keep my t5's that are currently in use, but there are only 2 bulbs. Would a FOWLER add to bioload of the system? I'm kind of drawn to triggers, but I thought they were messy eaters?

I may have been leaning towards something on the filtration end, mostly because I want the water volume but not a lot of added maintenance.

10. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Depends on how you set it up. Some fish can be messy and add to the bioload, but if you only have a couple of fish and a lot of live rock then it may balance out.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app