150g hexagon restoration

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So acquired this beautiful tank the other day, thanks to JoshHill. It a unique tank and I have never seen one like it before. The wood is really nice and built into the tank as well.
The guy Josh and I rescued it from had neglected it for about 8 years. There was some amazing finds in it though despite the neglect!!

I did some digging aorund looking to find out who made this amazing tank and I came across the sale thread from 2007 where the guy we got it from bought it.

After he bought it it looks like he set it up and then never did a single thing to it for the next 8 years. I was pretty bad. On the plus side though all the dust protected most of the tank and stand from major damage and should cleanup beautifully.
Here's the original sale thread from 2007 and is exactly what the tank looks like +8yrs of wear. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1251989

Unfortunately this tank wont fit my needs and I hate to just turn it into a storage tank, so once its cleaned and restored it will be for sale or trade.
Some progress pics to come as I sand down the tank and stand and work on restoring it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Was this the one on CL with all the nems in it? I saw from the reef central thread that the guy that bought it was in Bailey. That CL deal of the day tank was in Bailey.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya it was the tank from there and ya he was on the backside of Baily

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Got the hardware and lights removed and started sanding down the base. The lights that I took out are the exact same lights from the reefcentral post in 2007. Dont even think the guy changed the bulbs or something. When Josh and I got there, only one bulb was working, barely, all others had long since burnt or were rotted out.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
SkyShark;362080 said:
Awesome you were able to track down that old for sale thread.
For sure, although Im still very curious about who built this tank and stand. Think I might have to email that guy on there and see if he knows.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awe et pick up. I thought about grabbing it since I live in Bailey but had no room for it

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
This tank is cleaning up very nicely :)
Got the inside scrubbed out and clean, plus I also sanded down all of the stand and the framing. The lid I took apart and sanded a bit, then re-glued and re-screwed it, to try and fix the slight warp that was in it. So far looks great but still clamped down at the moment, thus the strap clamp around it currently.

Next step is stain and top coat. I'm thinking of going with a dark cherry. but haven't quite decided yet. Thoughts?

One shot without the lid on

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Looks good. I'd go with a darker color that matches where you're going to put it.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well Im not likely to put it anywhere, wish could but it doesnt work for my house and/or the wife, so it will be for sale when i'm done.
If anyone were wanting to buy it they could pick out the stain and color for it, as long as they put a deposit down and let me know before this friday, as I will be working to finish it this weekend.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Luke.Fraizer;362440 said:
An amazing tank!!! I do think you should just keep it!!! Very unique!!!
I wouldnt mind keeping it, it is a beauty of a tank. Keep trying to convince the wife I need a fowlr tank but she isnt having any of it. Either way it will help me get the big tank built though :)

JoshHill83;362441 said:
Wow, it looks so much better than when we picked it up. Awesome progress.
Ya totally different tank, it cleaned up very nice, looking forward to staining it. Then I got to replace some of the hardware on the lid.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Such a nice looking tank. Wish I had jumped on it but gf would have murdered me in my sleep. Lol

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Shaunv;362452 said:
Such a nice looking tank. Wish I had jumped on it but gf would have murdered me in my sleep. Lol
Ya that would be about the same response I would get if I try and keep it lol

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well the lid is done drying and I got most of the warp out of it :) Looks good, so now I will go pick up some stain and top coat tomorrow night. Going to do this in red mahogany with some dark walnut mixed in.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well got two coats of stain on it and I think its looking pretty awesome. Loving this stain color, red mahogany, first coat, and ebony for the second coat. It really makes the grain pop.
Next is the top clear coat, for which I chose a Satin Marine Spar Urethane to give it great protection from any moisture.