1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

180g Carpet Nem Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by Haddonisreef, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Just ordered mty steel for the stand on the 180, it will be 2x2 11 gage. I will do all the welding at my shop. Look for pics from the stand and from patrick doing by tank !

2. hoodrat

hoodrat Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Cant wait to see this one

3. Mantid

Mantid Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Thats cool, Im excited as well. take some photos of the process at your shop. i would like to see you in action!

4. Haddonisreef

Well about got the stand done will post some pics tomarrow!

5. patrick1234

patrick1234 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Did you ever get my e-mail?

6. Haddonisreef

Ya ill send my addy to ya now

7. Haddonisreef

8. Haddonisreef

9. Haddonisreef

10. Haddonisreef

Disregard these pics! ome that patrick ahs sent me of the 180

11. patrick1234

12. hurrafreak

hurrafreak Orca M.A.S.C Club Member

Can't wait to see this one develop Charlie. We went over to that guys house last week lol.

13. Haddonisreef

Here she is sorry for no inbetween pics! Once i got started that was it! If any body has any structueral tips before i pait this girl please chime in!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. hurrafreak

I don't know anything about architecture lol but I have always seen more crossbars on the top instead of just that one middle one??

15. prolawn_care

prolawn_care Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

Even corner braces would help...

I agree more cross braces across the top, even though the tank will probably be on the outside edge of the steel, it's seems like it would be worth the extra effort! The tank will probably right around 100+ pounds plus close to 1500 pounds of water and another 3-400 in live rock and substrate. So my best guess would be it would have to hold atleast 2,000 lbs... Not sure exaxtly how you would test the stand, but think of it as the stand should be able to hold a small car and you should be good. Good luck and cant wait to see it all set-up!

16. hurrafreak

so just drive your small car on top of it and share that picture with us haha.

17. prolawn_care

prolawn_care Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

That would be a sight to see! Sell tickets to pay for the steel!

18. jonthefb

jonthefb Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

There is no need for braces on the top. If you look at most Aquarium manufacturer stands they have no bracing across the top, all of the load is carried along the edge.

Charlie are you going to slide the sump in from the side or top? If it were me I would eliminate one of the 2 braces on whichever side is the front, this way it allows you more room to get in and work on the sump, but just a suggestion!

looks great man!
    Cheers~!
    Jon

19. patrick1234

Also look at most manufacturer stand they are built with mbf

20. jonthefb

jonthefb Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

actually most are made out of solid pine (all glass) or plywood. Granted some are made out of mDf, but the majority are not.