180g Carpet Nem Tank

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just ordered mty steel for the stand on the 180, it will be 2x2 11 gage. I will do all the welding at my shop. Look for pics from the stand and from patrick doing by tank !

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats cool, Im excited as well. take some photos of the process at your shop. i would like to see you in action!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here she is sorry for no inbetween pics! Once i got started that was it! If any body has any structueral tips before i pait this girl please chime in!

prolawn_care

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even corner braces would help...

I agree more cross braces across the top, even though the tank will probably be on the outside edge of the steel, it's seems like it would be worth the extra effort! The tank will probably right around 100+ pounds plus close to 1500 pounds of water and another 3-400 in live rock and substrate. So my best guess would be it would have to hold atleast 2,000 lbs... Not sure exaxtly how you would test the stand, but think of it as the stand should be able to hold a small car and you should be good. Good luck and cant wait to see it all set-up!

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is no need for braces on the top. If you look at most Aquarium manufacturer stands they have no bracing across the top, all of the load is carried along the edge.

Charlie are you going to slide the sump in from the side or top? If it were me I would eliminate one of the 2 braces on whichever side is the front, this way it allows you more room to get in and work on the sump, but just a suggestion!

looks great man!
Cheers~!
Jon

jonthefb

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
actually most are made out of solid pine (all glass) or plywood. Granted some are made out of mDf, but the majority are not.