1st salt tank!!!! my name is Garrett, HI!

On the left side of the tank is the power head for the protein skimmer, and just below it is a secondary power head on a timer to act as current. Its a hang on protein skimmer. Today was the 1st i have ever added sink water to this tank, all the water n the tank came from the previous owner who claimed it was good quality.

Dude, you just have 2 powerheads in there. Know you posted you had a protein skimmer. I really do welcome you but all the information you are getting on here is for not if you don't have a clue what's going on. That tank has zero coralline algae and looks fairly new. You need to read up on how to keep animals in your care. Plus 1 to what everyone said.... But, after you figure out what you are doing.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
timnem70;n638633 said:
Dude, you just have 2 powerheads in there. Know you posted you had a protein skimmer. I really do welcome you but all the information you are getting on here is for not if you don't have a clue what's going on. That tank has zero coralline algae and looks fairly new. You need to read up on how to keep animals in your care. Plus 1 to what everyone said.... But, after you figure out what you are doing.
Not all tanks need to have coralline algae on it to determine if the tank is new or not. I agree that a lot more research needs to be done but everyone was at this point when they started and had no idea on what they were doing, including myself.

Wow timnem, thanks for the warm welcome. 1. I have done plunty of research and reading prior to recieving this tank, plus communicating with others who have salt water tanks aquiring charts and general knowledge. 2. This is not my first fish tank, i have had a 150 gallon freshwater tank for over 8 years, so yes they are very different ecosystems, but proper care of animals should not be in question. 3. My question to u is what powers a protein skimmer?... A power head, my tank has a total of 2 power heads, 1 to power the flow of water to the hang on protein skimmer, and a 2nd power head to add current to the tank which is on a timer to cycle to simulate a tide, all that info was listed in the original post 4. Is not the purpose of a open community forum such as this one, to discuss and exchange knowledge of common hobby or interest? Yea thats what i thought. 5. Other forum members in this group have incouraged the asking of questions, where u seem to just critisize someone with out correctly read the information. So thanks for all your help in reading theads for newbies and introductions!!

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey don't get discouraged and turned off by this forum by a few comments of others please there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. And the vast majority of members are receptive and want the best for your tank and it's inhabitants. Some get a little carried away with some comments because they care for animals and living creatures we have husbandry with. There is a steep learning curve with saltwater vs freshwater but we'll help you through the process.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome:
My tank naturally ranges in the 7.6 -8.2 range daily, so I wouldn't be to concerned about that. I would be more concerned about nitrates and the build up of phosphates from using tap water. You can buy premade water at you LFS or get an rodi. In the long run, rodi is a must have in saltwater, store bought will get you buy till you can get one, but the sooner you get an rodi the better.

On another topic

Masc policies:

2. Infractions will be given and posts will be edited and/or removed for any of the following reasons:
- Rude or offensive posts directed at another user or person (our mission is to ENCOURAGE fellow hobbyists)

Last edited by a moderator:

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the forum Garrett! I would also recommend getting an rodi and putting together a water mixing station. Doesn't need to be large for your needs. 5 gallons is a pretty substantial water change for your 29. Just a nice clean container to mix water in with a small heater and pump for circulation. A refractometer would be handy too. The swing arm hydrometers are not super reliable/accurate. In hindsight, I wish I had aquired these items sooner, but instead I was focused on upgrading other equipment. Having good quality water on demand and a batch of saltwater mixed up ready to go will play an important role in keeping a stable system. I'm thinking that having an rodi will be especially helpful considering your location.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
After that, you can indulge yourself in blowing tons of money on, I mean budgeting carefully for cool stuff like lights, contollers, etc. :)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
+1 to that

Great thanks guys for all the advice, sounds like i need to get an Ro/di asap. Im looking at the BRI value model, any suggestions?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
legendracer79;n638691 said:
Great thanks guys for all the advice, sounds like i need to get an Ro/di asap. Im looking at the BRI value model, any suggestions?

I got mine off amazon for roughly $130. Look into a TDS meter as well as a refractometer. TDS will help tell you how clean your water is when it comes out and when it starts to go up it might be time to change one of the filters, depending on how often you use it you can change one to two stages a year. Refractometer will help with salinity accuracy.1

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the club. You will quickly learn that the tank will eat a hole in your wallet.

I think by KH you mean Specific Gravity? IE how much salt is in the water? If not I have never seen KH in that number form what measurement is it? If it is the SG you are talking about I would slowly drain and gallon at a time and add it back just RO/DI water if you can get your hands on it. If not RO water from any grocery store would be better then treated tap water.

Welcome to the addiction!

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the club! If you have the opportunity to come to Denver this weekend, Reef Stock is in town. Specifically if you can be there at 12 on Saturday, there is a "Introduction to Saltwater Tanks" discussion with Bob Fenner scheduled. Its a good show put on by one of our trade partners. MASC will also have a booth at the show, and a lot of jaw dropping coral, gear, and information under one roof. Stop by our booth, we'd love to meet you.

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forum/welcome-to-masc/community-info/46466-reefstock-2016

https://www.facebook.com/events/1530866913828676/

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Likely your nitrates are from moving the tank recently. This disturbs the biologics in the tank that break down nitrates. It should come down fairly quickly. keep an eye on it. I agree with everyone on running RO/DI water. Your PH could also be from excessive CO2 in your house. pretty common this time of year when everyone's house is closed up for the winter. Being at altitude like you are will also not help that because your air density is about 20% thinner. Get your specific gravity down to 1.025 with fresh RO/DI water. I think you might be confused about what KH means. KH is a level carbonate hardness. Not the specific gravity.

Welcome to the most addicting hobby ever!

Nice starting tank, mine was a 20g that had a power head and heater, I added a h.o.b skimmer like what you have and kept up with water changes and was very successful, what I didn't do was research on fish and inverts I put in there and had a lot of conflicts there, so don't buy on impulse!

thanks everyone, and yes i was mixing up my terminology, i was talking about SG, and calling it Kh my bad. i wont be able to make reef stock this saturday, but i am planning on attending reef ed on april 30th. hopefully to pick up corals and fish. i want to give myself a couple months from right now to balance out this ecosystem and get it into a rhythm with testing and care before i start adding more life to the tank.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
To lower your SG just add RO water, but do it slowly, like .001 a day. And to lower your nitrate you can do water changes to lower that. What is your SG when you make a new batch?

Update of fish gear! Just ordered a jbj ATO, mocraplus 185gph pump, and a red sea foundation pro multi test kit. Been topping off the tank with 1 cup of RO water every 3 hours today to slowly adjust the SG.