20L Sump Design help

240addiction

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am currently not happy with my sump and I would like to redesign it a bit. I still get a lot of micro bubbles in the display tank and it is just not working that well. Due to the tank location I dont have a lot of choices in sump size and I cant really go deeper, taller or wider than a 20L. it is currently setup like this picture (not mine but almost identical my middle section is smaller and first section is bigger).
View attachment 21663
Currently the return comes into the left back corner into a mesh filter sock and the protein skimmer sits there. Then the heaters sit in the flow of the second baffle. In the second compartment I have some live rock rubble and chateo and finally the return pump in the last section. I wish I would have gone with a smaller footprint skimmer than the Vertex Omega 150 (12"x9"), but it is what I have now and dont really want to replace a $400 basically new skimmer. I would like to keep a fuge area, but might replace the rubble with a large single piece of rock. I also need room for a Phosban 150 Reactor for carbon right now and GFO later. I almost want to get rid of the filter sock, but without it the bubbles make a hug mess.

Thanks for the help.

Paul