3 times bust with Alpha Omegas...

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It seems these specific zoas do not like my tank. I have tried 3 times and cannot get them to stay alive more than a day or 2... What the heck? Is there something special about them that I don't know about?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine are weeds... I can cut a chuck off for you if you want to try a fourth time.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had my first frag melt on me too. The second frag I got is now doing well...didn't change anything in the tank, just how I treated them to get them acclimated. Who knows if this will help...but here's what I did:

Started them in the cave, completely protected from light and flow. They opened up and I waited a few days to start moving them into the light. When I did move them into the light, they would "mushroom"...for lack of a better description they basically turned their skirts down and looked like little mushrooms. The first frag I had did that and melted shortly after. Any time I saw that sign of stress I just put them back in the cave for a couple days. Probably not the BEST thing to keep moving them, but if they stayed in the light they'd melt and so I kept moving them into the cave for a few days, then back out into the light for longer and longer periods of time. First it was in the light for a day at a time, then 2, 3, etc...

It took about 2 weeks to acclimate them to the light like this. Eventually they stopped showing signs of light stress and were happily getting blasted by light in the front of my tank. I didn't get much growth out of them with them sitting in a little area protected from flow...but they are now sitting in an area that gets pretty constant direct flow and they seem extremely happy. The 3 polyp frag I picked up now has more than 10 polyps on it after just over a month in my tank.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd give you one, but when Khalis had his first one melt I gave him my last 3 polyps. Glad they're doing well in his tank though.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;163985 said:
I'd give you one, but when Khalis had his first one melt I gave him my last 3 polyps. Glad they're doing well in his tank though.
I didn't realize those were your last ones! I wouldn't have taken em :(

I'm gonna attempt to organize the tank a little and mount some frags this weekend. I'll see if I can split that plug and get a few polyps back to you!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No problem. No rush on my side.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
I also have some Alpha and Omegas that need to go so PM me if all others fall through!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone!! I want to make sure these ones last, because I have to fulfill my end of the DBTC ( my first attempt was a DBTC from Gabe.) did anyone else have any trouble with these and had to do something special to get them to grow?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, I don't know who to ask for a frag... I don't want anyone to go out of their way to get me anything!! Who's closest to brighton?