300 gallon drop-off tank

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Looks like an awesome plan. Talk to Shawn (szavoda) about where to get acrylics he has done some builds.

Wanted to thank szavoda for all the advice. So I think I have found a few different options for acrylic. Professional Plastics has 4x8 3/4 sheets for $346 if you buy 4 or more and 1" for $570 a sheet as well as free cutting. Plasticare has 3/4 for $455 and 1" for $630. I'm waiting in one other company before I commite. Now on to the stand. Ill post my designs fo the stand in soon.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So, with all respect, what type of tank assembly have you done before. I went from putting together many sumps (all of them done incorrectly as I later found out) to a 180g display and I can tell you it is an anxiety testing experience. At the least, I would recommend two people for the job.

Also - I saw your PM for the stand (although most was cut off), but if you need, I have a full Tig / Mig welding setup and a great source for powder coating (e.g. the blasted and costed my entire stand for $100). For steel supply, I would say DenCol - sane prices and convenience.

Shawn

I've only done a small sump and a few repairs, adding overflowes that sorta thing. never a full tank. so yea Im a little nervous about the build. My plan is to start of with my sump and see how that goes before I take on a full tank. I'm definantly open to any help and when the time comes to build will be willing to pay someone for that help. I just want to be part of building it. you know so I can say I did. I grew up in a family of construction workers and were stubborn when it comes to hiring someone to do it for us. I did see someone on here the other day intrested in starting a class to learn how to work with acrylic. I might look into that to.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I ran a class some months back for MASC members, but this is definitely a one on one project. I don't charge anything - just here to help (okay - fine - I will take a super frag from your awesome colony one day). If you are interested, I would say that we should sit down for an hour and look at your plans in more detail. We can do the sump first to get your feet wet with the "correct" methods. I think there are at least a couple of guys that would be willing to help from the class and outside as that 1" product will be super heavy and we can use 3 people to apply the weldon and pull the pins.

But, with a big DT project, there are a few things that are new compared to a sump - like placing MDF stringers lined with foam to allow for foundation inconsistencies.

Anyways - hope I can be of help...

Shawn

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I've always wanted a large drop off tank like this, but I have had two acrylic tanks that I am now certain were diy projects. Both tanks have had issues and if I were to ever do another acrylic tank build I would be certain it was professionally built. It can really be scary to have something go wrong and not know if it will hold until you can fix it.
I would also think that the stand would need to be extremely precise so that the seams are not overly stressed. I want you to build it but I would definitely be afraid to do it too!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'll be following along.

One option to make sure you get a good fit with the stand is to build the two separate tanks and then not join them until the stand and decking are in place. Join them together while sitting on their permanent home. I might be oversimplifying the assembly process, so maybe my idea isn't an option. I have worked with acrylic quite a few times but never on a display tank. I have never needed to worry about making it pretty.

Good luck with the build!

I like the idea. What if instead of really 90 corners, where the tank drops of if done with acrylic rounded corners. This I think at least technically, as well as esthetics would be of less concern. Simply fpr,the incredible flaws invoved in trying to join to separate tanks together at 90degree angles. I'll shut up now. Anyone who has the funds and talent to complete this incredible build, I am anxious to tag along. Thanks for letting me think a little out loud.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I like they way this design added some wave makers for the drop off section to get some flow down there. I guess I am assuming those are wave makers, and not return lines or something, either way getting flow to the drop off seems like a good idea.

Also quite a few designs I've seen that are plywood constructed tanks, might be a way to get the same effect and save some coin and stress?