3D Printing

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Trying out the printer at school and made these mounting brackets for the Vortech controllers.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Not sure. The art teacher is teaching me how to use this thing. So we set it up this morning and he brought them in while I was in class. My guess is about 1.5 hours.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Mike - Did you see that booth at Reefstock with all the 3D printed stuff? I liked the Apex controller mount and my daughter bought 2 of the starfish necklaces for $1. Some of their testing kit organizers looked nice too, but I didn't check a price on them.... I got some good ideas to try with my 3D printer here at the house though!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;667852 said:
Printing some loc line flow accelerators tomorrow.
Did you design it or find the file on line? We just got 10 printers and I need some stuff to print to work out the kinks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I found the plans here for both things I am printing. http://www.yeggi.com/ Just typing in aquarium gives you thousands of designs some useful and some not so much.

Chris, I got the idea to look up the plans from that booth. We have a couple of printers here at school and I was tired of watching my Vortec controllers slowly slide down the wall!

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Still need to figure out the loc-line nozzles they kept failing part way through.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I printed this bracket out this morning, it's for my Gyre controller. It came out good. I'm printing an Apex controller bracket now...

Also the before and after....before I was using the ever classy suspension from PVC pipe! Now nice clean bracket!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Here's the finished and installed Apex controller bracket. The color of the filament is called clear tangerine, it actually looks like the orange on their logo. I have 2 more aquarium related things I might try today, an Apex probe holder for the pH and Temp probes, and a dosing tube holder/organizer that I am trying to design myself in Tinkercad.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Man, now I want to go buy myself a 3d printer. I've done figurines in the past but always wanted my own printer to make them, you guys are giving me more excuses to finally buy one.
Which printer you guys using?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have the DaVinci mini 3D by XYZprinting. I got it for my kids for Christmas, but when they are at school I sneak on and print the stuff I want :nevreness:

I like that it uses PLA which is 100% biodegradable plastic. I figured if they were printing a ton of plastic stuff, better to be biodegradable in several years rather than buried in a landfill for a thousand. Once I got the printer dialed in, took a while to do that, it has been pretty good. My kids print "spinners" or fidget toys that they take to school. My wife takes the spinners to work and gives them to kids who have ADHD or other lack of focus and concentration issues.

The downside to my printer is I have to use proprietary filament....much like ink cartridges on a printer. XYZprinting controls their filament market, thus controls the price. Right now I get 200m of filament for like $25, and that lasts a long time. I don't know what would ever stop them from selling it for $50, if that ever happened I'd either be stuck paying it or not printing. (I suspect I could use a generic form of PLA filament and just apply it to one of their spools, it seems like they control the spools via computer chip and an RF chip reader).

Amazon link to mine: https://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-...qid=1488825508&sr=1-2&keywords=xyz+3d+printer

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Probe holder for the Neptune pH and temp probe. Finished product and the second pic is the holder installed in my sump!

I'm doing one more print, I modified this probe holder to hold the 4 dosing tubes (airline tube) and then had my 12 year old show me how to emboss some text on the holder to label what each dosing tube is in the holder. It's printing now, hopefully it is awesome!

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Last one, I promise.....

I printed this bracket to hold my 1/4 inch dosing tubes from my dosing pumps. I currently have my dosing tubes zip tied to a piece of PVC, because that's how I do....or did I guess. I spent 2 hours trying to modify the bracket (same bracket as the probe holder I made earlier) but had trouble with the letters. My 12 year old daughter came in and had this piece printing in under 10 minutes (I'd been at it for 2 hours)! So the 4 dosing tubes will go into the bracket in their assigned position, Alkalinity-Calcium-Magnesium-Vodka.

The only thing that sort of bugs me is the deformation by the word VOD. You can see it hooks in. I've had this happen before, and have read it might be from cooling too quickly or something. But what is unusual about this one is that it is on the side that was against the printer bed? So it was the first thing that was printed. Odd, and not sure I understand how that happened. But it doesn't effect the functionality and won't really ever be seen, so I don't need to reprint it.