3gal Pico

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So at the wife's recommendation :) I picked up a little AIO 3gal Pico at the MASC bbq. It was just the tank so I'm still gathering all of the equipment for it but am just about done. Equipment will be an Eheim Jäger heater, Rio 90 return pump (85gph), and an AI prime for lighting. ATO will be done via a float switch and tied into my main Apex unit on the 20L. We haven't settled on a definitive stock list yet but are leaning towards a euphylia/mushroom heavy tank. Pics to come later. The only pieces of equipment I'm waiting on to come are the heater and the pump I'll be using with the ATO.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
3gal Pico

I will say that the AI Prime is pretty awesome! So much output and control in such a tiny little light. The built in wifi is nice and you can set up lunar simulation, storm modes, sunrise/sunset, and there is even a coral acclimation mode that will gradually ramp the lights up over a user defined number of days.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome! With the water movement and that light, I'd do minimal rock work and a few "designer" acros like the Fox Flame, Wolverine, or purple monster and grow them into colonies!!

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;362886 said:
Awesome! With the water movement and that light, I'd do minimal rock work and a few "designer" acros like the Fox Flame, Wolverine, or purple monster and grow them into colonies!!
That would be sweet, although I doubt the water parameters can stay stable enough in a pico to grow them into massive colonies.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So as far as maintaining water parameters, my goal is to do either manual dosing or work out some way to add it into the ATO water.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;362887 said:
That would be sweet, although I doubt the water parameters can stay stable enough in a pico to grow them into massive colonies.
I agree that it would be more work, but not impossible. Stable parameters aren't just important for SPS so it will have to be closely monitored either way no matter what coral is added.

Either way, this is a cool setup! Looking forward to seeing it progress.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;362882 said:
Shoot 85 gph for a pico!! Talk about water movement!
Yep! The Rio has a valve to dial back the flow if it turns out to be too much. I wasn't planning on adding any other form of water movement and wanted the return to be able to supple ample turnover.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;362886 said:
The plan is to maybe put one or two nice SPS near the top level and let them grow out while having euphyllias to add some nice movement in the bottom layer and mushrooms to provide the "ground cover". I haven't decided on the exact SPS to go with though. Probably something with a more unique growth pattern and in the reddish range of colors to contrast the greenish of most euphyllias.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Perhaps Jason fox strawberry lemonade. That would provide some great contrast.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tomtom2245;362901 said:
Yep! The Rio has a valve to dial back the flow if it turns out to be too much. I wasn't planning on adding any other form of water movement and wanted the return to be able to supple ample turnover.
85 gph on a 3 gallon tank is only 28x turnover per hour which isn't all that much.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sand is in, used Fiji pink, and the rocks are finishing up following a good cure. Heater should be here tomorrow. Goal is to have everything up and running by the end of next week.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Go the aquascape done today. Will see if after I stare at it for a few days if it stays or not. Kind of tricky with the rimless and overflow, makes you think you have more height to play with than you actually do.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Awesome that's going to look killer! !! Weekly or big weekly water changes are going to be key with that tank for first bit if you ask me. Dry rock hair algae bloom is prob going to be fierce.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;363123 said:
Awesome that's going to look killer! !! Weekly or big weekly water changes are going to be key with that tank for first bit if you ask me. Dry rock hair algae bloom is prob going to be fierce.
I'm planning on averaging three small changes roughly every two weeks. With my rotating shift work schedule, that's usually what I end up averaging on my 20L anyway.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have water!!! Did a water change on my 20 and used that to fill this one up plus a cup of established sand went in. Also wired in the ATO to my Apex and that is up and running. The only little hiccup has been the heater. It's running smoothly but is definitely operating within its +/- 2 degree range. My temp swings have been up to 3.5 degrees over an hour or so. So, I ordered a temp controller to help get that in check.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tomtom2245;363733 said:
We have water!!! Did a water change on my 20 and used that to fill this one up plus a cup of established sand went in. Also wired in the ATO to my Apex and that is up and running. The only little hiccup has been the heater. It's running smoothly but is definitely operating within its +/- 2 degree range. My temp swings have been up to 3.5 degrees over an hour or so. So, I ordered a temp controller to help get that in check.

Cancel that controller. Use your apex. Best temp controller on the market.

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;363737 said:
Cancel that controller. Use your apex. Best temp controller on the market.
I would but the price difference is the big reason right now, later on I might do it. I would need another energy bar, temp module, probe, and extension cable to set it up that way.