40G Cube Build

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
UPDATE1 with pictures

I purchased a used 40G cube this weekend and had it delivered to the house. In my wife's haste to have the house cleaned up she wanted me to start moving fish over to the new tank ASAP which meant starting at 7pm on Saturday. The old tank had to be removed for the new tank to be setup, so I have a few 18G tubs that I could transfer the livestock to.

After testing to make sure the bulkhead was not leaking by putting a cup of water into the overflow we started transferring water and livestock from our old tank into the tubs and, after the old tank was moved out of the way, from the tubs to the new tank. Two things happened that I would have noticed if I placed 2 gallons of water into the overflow instead of just a cup. First the bulkhead was leaking and second the overflow was leaking from the bottom in 3 places. Needless to say these leaks would have caused the tank to drain overnight. Because of this we had to move all the livestock a third time back into the tubs, at 2am in the morning (which is where they have been since Saturday night).

With sand and some residual water in the tank, I removed the bulkhead and dried the overflow area, so I could re-silicon the area. I decided to not remove the old silicon and just use a very liberal amount of silicon to cover all the way over the old silicon and the glass area. I also used silicon on the bulkhead because of the issue with the hole that was drilled being too large. Basically I put silicon on both sides of both rubbers and some more to fill up the extra space in the oversized hole. Early this morning (20 hours after applying the silicon) I put 2 gallons of water into the overflow. The bulkhead isn't leaking, but the overflow still has two small leaks from the corner bottom of the glass, but the major leak in the middle was fixed.

This is where everything stands right now on this project. I guess my questions now are, will a leak at the bottom of the overflow wall under the sand get clogged up and stop leaking over time? If not, since the pressure is going to be low (maybe 2") can I glob more silicon into that spot? If not, is someone available tonight to come by my house (south denver) and help me clean and patch the overflow? I can get the area dry, but there is still sand and water in the tank.

FYI. My wife would like me to run to the store and pickup a 75G tank w/ overflow, stand, sump, and all the fixings and trash everything else. I'm trying to keep from doing this because of size and apartment issues, but I might not have an option if it isn't fixed tonight.

Sorry, I'm at work, I have no pictures, and I didn't take any pictures, but I'm sure most of you can visualize the issue. I will have pictures once we I get the livestock back into the tank. Please no comments about just getting the bigger tank, because the truth is if this isn't fixed I might have livestock for people to pickup and make my 5G mantis tank the display in my house.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone interested in answering the overflow leak question? Maybe my post was a little wordy.

othercents;88323 said:
I guess my questions now are, will a leak at the bottom of the overflow wall under the sand get clogged up and stop leaking over time? If not, since the pressure is going to be low (maybe 2") can I glob more silicon into that spot? If not, is someone available tonight to come by my house (south denver) and help me clean and patch the overflow?

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey David, sorry to hear about the trouble your having with the tank. I think once you get sand against that edge and water in, it wont affect anything. When you have water in the tank and in the overflow the pressure will be very close on both sides of the glass and most likely there will not be a water exchange between the two.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;88349 said:
Hey David, sorry to hear about the trouble your having with the tank. I think once you get sand against that edge and water in, it wont affect anything. When you have water in the tank and in the overflow the pressure will be very close on both sides of the glass and most likely there will not be a water exchange between the two.
The pressure depends on if I need to drain the overflow for any reason. I figure at max I need to be able to keep the tank full and drain the overflow if I have to take another look at the bulkhead.

Oceans;88355 said:
You can always put some epoxy around the leaks. It does make it hard to remove the bulkheads.
What type and how quickly does it set, or how long do I have to wait before I can place water in the tank again? Does it matter if there is silicone already there, or do I need to scrape the silicon first? If I have to scrape the silicone first wouldn't it be better to just re-silicone it? I already have the silicone, but I need 12 hours for it to cure, which means waiting until tomorrow after work instead of tonight. I really don't want to have to rebuild the overflow.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When i broke the tank down i pulled the overflow pipe and once the overflow drained no water came into the overflow. Then i drained the tank and pulled the sand out, most likely why i didnt see this leak. I guess with the sand in there it did keep it from spilling into the overflow. I see your concern and assuming the leaks are very small they make quick cure epoxy, silicon as well as a little superglue may solve the issue. IMO

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;88359 said:
When i broke the tank down i pulled the overflow pipe and once the overflow drained no water came into the overflow. Then i drained the tank and pulled the sand out, most likely why i didnt see this leak. I guess with the sand in there it did keep it from spilling into the overflow. I see your concern and assuming the leaks are very small they make quick cure epoxy, silicon as well as a little superglue may solve the issue. IMO
Thats what I'm thinking, but trying to confirm that once the sand is in place the leak will be plugged by the sand (you did have some sand in the overflow). It is possible that the overflow started to leak because of the move. I also want to be safe than sorry especially if it is the difference between a happy wife and an unhappy wife. The overflow pipe is leaking some, which is to be expected, so a leak in the overflow combined with a leak in the overflow pipe will cause some significant problems if the pump is off for multiple days. I don't want to mess with the pipe since I don't want to accidentally move the bulkhead again.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oceans;88365 said:
epoxy usually only takes 10 minutes, and can be bought at any hardware store. You can just put it around the silicone.
Thanks... Sounds like a winner.. I might run the epoxy all the way around the overflow just to be safe. Plus I'm sure it doesn't come in thimble size.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The sand that was in there was from when mike had it. I never cleaned out the overflow when i bought it, plus some could have gone over the top because at one point in time i had to much flow and it was blowing the sand everywhere. I dont think it would be nessicary to tear the overflow apart but to be comfortable i would throw some epoxy/silicon/superglue over the leak areas. Maybe some superglue + sand would make a good patch? The overflow PIPE is leaking??

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just need to remember to epoxy both sides of the wall.

Off The Deep End;88368 said:
The overflow PIPE is leaking??
Yes... Probably not getting a tight seal at the bottom or I didn't push it in far enough, or I have it leaning to one side. Probably dripping once a minute.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The jb weld will be fine. Sorry to hear about the leak. I built the tank if you have any questions pm me and I will try to help. I am not a tank builder but I do dabble a little. Silicon will work too but needs more time to set. Good luck, I miss that little tank.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like the tank but I like the wife more. :D

At this point the water is holding. I used loctite 5min quikset epoxy and waited 2hrs before filling the tank. Hopefully it doesn't leach into the tank.

I still have to rockscape, build the sump, and get 20g more water. I also need another ato float. Once everything is set I will know how many corals I lost. Wife wasnt nice to them stacking them into a Tupperware bowl.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pictures and update:

I added 10G of water last night to the system and I should only need maybe another 10G to finish out the system. However prior to adding the rest of the water, I will need to create the baffles in the sump. I have the general idea of what I want to do, so I should be done with it before this weekend. I purchased a frag rack and it looks like most of the frags made it. I'm missing a kenya tree, but the rest looks fine. The three acans I picked up 2 weeks ago took some food yesterday and were open this morning looking for food again, so looks good for them.

Leak update: This morning after having added 10G last night I did notice that the overflow leaked again and water made it down into the sump. The leak could be where the original was, or up high in the tank since I increased the water level. This isn't a major issue especially since I will typically be pumping water back into the tank, but if the pump ever fails when I'm gone for any extended period of time the sump could overflow. Options are to 1) do nothing and hope the sand, salt, and algae causes the leak to stop 2) take my AquaScape epoxy and place a significant amount of epoxy around the edges. I will have to find out where it is leaking first.

David