55 gallon, Starting back up after 5 years

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Before I retired from the Navy I gave away or otherwise disposed of all of my equipment.

My lovely wife which is also a lover of saltwater tanks bought me a 55 gallon tank from someone selling it. So here starts our adventure into a small reef tank.

Today we tested our cycle and here are the parameters.

Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia .50
Nitrates 20
Nitrites 0
Alk 300
Temp 80

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
OK tested water and have the cycle done to point that I feel comfortable adding a little bit.
Our first experience is listed in vendor experience if you're curious.

Bought a small candy cane and frog spawn.

Tomorrow the cleaning crew shows up. I am so excited.

View attachment 23723

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Tell us about the system. How and what are you testing for? Lighting, filtration, dosing, skimmer... We love to hear all the gory details your "normal" friends roll there eyes over. Lol

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Thanks to Tango here is some of what he gave me last night.

The GSP hasn't come out yet but I'll move them around till I find their happy spot. Thanks Ruben.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
After playing a little bit and adding another T5 24" solar xtreme. I think the color is better and the coral is responding well. Here is a tank shot. I have to admit I am now starting to save for the kessil pendants after seeing Tangos I am convinced.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
OK so looking through the many many skimmers on the market now, I am curious what your opinions are about a skimmer for a 55G I need it to be a hang on skimmer.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sctip;351970 said:
OK so looking through the many many skimmers on the market now, I am curious what your opinions are about a skimmer for a 55G I need it to be a hang on skimmer.
I have been using the reef octopus bh1000 hang on back skimmer on my 55 gal and it does a good job. Keeping a consistent water level seems to help keep the skimmer dialed in and running efficiently.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
A few pics of the coral I am really happy with the progress so far. Once I get some good growth I will frag them and offer them up.