55G Maintenance Free Tank

Ok,

so sure, I do have to top off this tank with fresh water every few days, and sure I have to feed the fish. But thats it. I haven't done a water change in months because whenever I do, it seems to upset something in the tank. There is no observable detritus, and all animals seem very happy and well fed.

I think the key to doing this maintenance free thing is under loading the tank with less fish than could be supported, and not keeping messy species. I have not tried any coral in the tank ever. Although I suspect they would probably want me to change the water.... which I am not itching to do.

The tank has one larger Ocellaris, a shrimp / goby pair, 2 anemones, 1 anemone crab, and another fish that hid during the video, but it is some sort of scissor fish. A full cleanup crew of 50 hermits, nassarius snails, turbo snails, and thats it.

A few pictures:

short youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=8o99mR4edFI

I am currently using a sump with standard blue bio balls. I've been meaning to replace the bio balls with SeaChem Matrix Bio Media, but have not gotten around to it yet. I used to use a skimmer but since I dont have an ATO, I constantly needed to adjust it and therefor just turned it off.

I have two tanks, one nano and this one and keep similar inhabitants in both. I find my choice of livestock to actually eliminate the need for cleaning anything. The only thing maintenance wise I do is clean the glass, feed the fish, and top off fresh RO water. On a very rare occasion (~once ever 5 months), I have to mix new top off freshwater with salt to replace salt lost during the salt creep around the overflow. The tank is super clean and all levels are normal. I've taken a sample of my 6 month old water to my lfs, and all levels by their measurements are within range as well.

Never had an issue with keeping sand clean with an active pistol shrimp and nassarius snails in the tank. The attached picture was taken March 5th. The only thing I've done with the tank since posting this thread originally is adding fresh water to top off the tank every few days and feed the fish.

Well, 10 months have passed and here are the results:

I think I changed the filter sock in the sump with new carbon once in the last 5 months. Not a single water change. No dyes, additives, salt or trace elements

I wasnt sure what to make of the different colored zoas in one of the pics, but I think its a good thing. I just recently started introducing corals and have found certain species to do better than others. While I am able to keep healthy anemones, fish, inverts and zoas, I am unable to keep frogspawn or candy canes (so far...). I'm slowly trying new corals but I want to be extra careful about picking up any hitchhikers

Current setup over the last 2 years:

55G
2 AI Primes (purchased ~6mo ago)
Standard blue bio ball filtration
Sock of carbon (replaced every 5 months)
50 lbs live sand
50 lbs live rock
~10 assorted hermit crabs
~5 small snails
2 astrea snails
2 Turbo snails
1 Medium true percula clown
1 Banded goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Know your nitrates? The anemones while doing pretty well, ime when their arms get kinda stubby like that is from higher nutrient levels. (and probably why your frogspawn didnt do well.)

Hey, sorry. I was reading too fast. here are the parameters

PH 8.1
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
0 Nitrate

I might need a better testing kit though. I just have that cheap API one.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
No proof that I'm right, just a hunch.

I would be surprised that you have absolute 0 nitrates. (Phos test?) unless you are also harvesting algae/macro/whatever often. (Good low levels like 5 sure, but not zero unless you are mega good at feeding very very little)