58g Potential Stock List

a bag of it

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #EBEBEB"]Hey guys, my 58g oceanic tank has been up almost a week now. Due to the well established live rock, I believe my tank has already cycled, though I'm gonna give it another few days before I add anything. I'm currently testing at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, .25 nitrate. What do you guys think about this stock list:

CUC:
30 Dwarf Ceriths
15 Nassarius
10 Florida Ceriths
7 Assorted Hermits
7 Large Nerites and 5 Small Nerites
I was also going to get some chaeto to add to the refugium

Soon:
Pair of clownfish (not sure what type yet)
Bangaii Cardinal
Royal Gramma
Some type of sand sifting goby

Later:
Melanurus Wrasse
Maybe a Mystery Wrasse
Green Mandarin

Possibly last even though I know I shouldn't:
Purple or Yellow Tang

As far as corals go, I'm interested in all types, but currently my favorites are zoa's.

What do you guys think? Do you see any conflicts? What type of clowns and goby should I get? Can you mix a black and white clown with a regular one?
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a black and white clown with a regular one and they do fine

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
a bag of it said:
Soon:
Pair of clownfish (not sure what type yet)
Bangaii Cardinal
Royal Gramma
Some type of sand sifting goby

Later:
Melanurus Wrasse
Maybe a Mystery Wrasse
Green Mandarin
I'd add the fish in this order:
Cardinal
Goby
Clowns
Gramma

You know about the pod population and a Mandarin and wrasses, they are going to destroy it. I wouldn't add them too soon because of that. I'd also reconsider a mystery wrasse, they look awesome but are big bullies. Add last if you end up with one.

I'd say do a water change, add your CUC, and add fish SLOW. This is to give your tank a chance to catch up with the increased bio-load. 2 weeks between additions should be good, but that's depending on how your tank looks.

Sent using Forum Runner

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Probably. I would do the CUC first, then about 2 weeks or so later do the fish.

I would reconsider the sand sifter... I've got a diamond watchman, and he clouds the tank up so much. He's a blast to watch, but I have to clean off the rock with a baster pretty often, and he causes the water to always have particulate in it. If you're fine with that stuff, then get him :D

I started with a lot of really established rock, and didn't even have a cycle. I waited 2 weeks, and added 1 fish per week (with the exception of my clown pair), and I didn't have any spikes. And this was on a biocube 29. I think 2 weeks between fish in a 58g is overkill.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
sinister said:
I would reconsider the sand sifter... I've got a diamond watchman, and he clouds the tank up so much. He's a blast to watch, but I have to clean off the rock with a baster pretty often, and he causes the water to always have particulate in it. If you're fine with that stuff, then get him :D

I started with a lot of really established rock, and didn't even have a cycle. I waited 2 weeks, and added 1 fish per week (with the exception of my clown pair), and I didn't have any spikes. And this was on a biocube 29. I think 2 weeks between fish in a 58g is overkill.
You'd gauge my eyes out when I waited 2 months between fish in my 120!

Sent using Forum Runner

I'm down just south of Denver tech center... If you want to see... Feel free. (I can't see your location from tapatalk)

Also, Neptune's show tank has one too in some really fine sand, and they have a problem with clouding too.

I definitely didn't have any problems before I added the goby, so it's obvious where the problem lies

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a diamond goby any it for sure makes a mess of the tank I wish I could pull it out but the wife won't let me I also have 2 tiger conch's and they do a great job as well.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have sand everywhere I just have stuff floating around all the time it gets pretty annoying

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a diamond goby in my 28 gal cube...he was the first fish to go in the tank.

He does a great job of keeping the sand clean, and yes...he does cause the occasional sand storm, but usually only if he gets really excited and starts "sifting while swimming". That's usually limited to feeding time though, and it clears up within an hour or so. When he's digging his burrow, he honestly doesn't cause that much of a mess.

I will say that initially, he did cause cloudiness throughout the day; the water was never quite clear, instead it was more like levels of cloudiness, lol. That subsided as the sand matured though; as that layer of bio-film forms on the substrate, the smaller particles tend to stick together and don't float around as freely. My tank has a mix of "sugar fine" sand and aragamax select...the sand came out of an established tank, so I don't know the exact ratio of what was used, but if I had to guess I'd say it's about 60% sugar with 40% aragamax select.

My goby seems to be relatively well behaved, as he mostly sits on the bottom of the tank, scoops up some sand, and sifts it in that same spot. If he digs his burrow...he spits out the sand toward the glass in a low flow area. Perhaps I lucked out...because I've heard stories of diamond gobies that will take a mouthful of sand and go for a swim while sifting through it...luckily mine isn't as messy. To be honest, my yellow coris wrasse causes more of a mess in the tank; when he starts dancing and flashing at my lubbock's fairy wrasse, he'll flash against the sandbed right where he usually sleeps, which causes a bigger mess than my goby ever has.

I wouldn't. Sometimes the cleanup crew will cause an ammonia spike because a few of the animals might be dead, or die soon after you put them in the tank. JMHO

a bag of it

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
After a little research, I think I'm going to go with a pistol shrimp goby pair. I was thinking a orange striped goby with a red banded shrimp. I'm now also interested in the schooling banner fish. Anything I should know about these guys? Also, how many wrasses would fit comfortably with the currently proposed livestock?

Ambrosio Aquatics

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
a bag of it;168908 said:
After a little research, I think I'm going to go with a pistol shrimp goby pair. I was thinking a orange striped goby with a red banded shrimp. I'm now also interested in the schooling banner fish. Anything I should know about these guys? Also, how many wrasses would fit comfortably with the currently proposed livestock?
depends on what type of wrasse... most wrasse will not tolerate others, flasher or carpenters wrasse would be your best bet. 2-3 female to one male