60 shallow reef

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a few build threads I was working on and realized it was going to be difficult to keep all of them straight so I'm condensing everything to here.
4 months ago I sold my 65 to pay off some medical bills and prepare for moving from the Front Range to the Western Slope. Since that time, my boys (3 and 1) have been asking for their fish back, cry when they see petco, and watch Finding Nemo relentlessly - my three year old sleeps with a stuffed nemo as well. On our last trip to Target (Petco is right next door) the kids wanted to go look at the fish at petco and my wife went with us. To my surprise she asked if we could setup a tank for a yellow tang and gave the go ahead for a small clownfish tank for the boys.
Here's where I'm at so far.

60 Frag:
This is a rimless 60 frag tank by deep blue and will function as a "shallow reef" zoa/monti garden.
Sump: 40B I got during the $1 sale at petco. I have an aquamedic protient skimmer and will be adding red dragon as my macro algae for nutrient control and tang food. I have a 10 gallon that I will use as an ato res.
Lights: Either 1x400w (M59 Ballast that I already have) or 2x250w (needs new ballasts) with a-to-be-added later retrofit 2x54w T5's.

20L:

This is Chad's 2x20L setup he sold that I'm going to pickup when I come over for reefed. This will sit in our living room along a banister so you can see both the front and the back as it's going to be a Rainbow Anemone Tank with Oscelaris Clowns. I'm keeping it bare bottom for the time being and am going to break apart rocks to cover most of the bottom for a crushed coral appearance. This will hopefully allow me to take out any splits from the anemone without having to go to extreme lengths to remove them.
Sump: 20L with red dragon macro algae and lots of rock.
Lights: 2x150w halide w t5 but I'm not sure yet if I have the space for an ato res.

30:

This is an IM Nuvo Fusion 30. Will be my holding tank for now.
Location: Going to have it sit in my office next to my desk once I get a half bookshelf for it to sit on.
Sump: It's an AIO so going to add red dragon to one of the media reactors.
Lights: not sure yet

Here's the layout of my apartment with the tank locations marked. The Blue box is going to be the 60 Frag tank. I'm not sure which location is best yet.
View attachment 23357
View attachment 23358
North is to the right, south left, top is west, bottom east. The first picture shows I can put it along the East wall of the office, this would sit over a support wall in the basement and run perpendicular to the beams in the basement. There is an outlet 2 feet to the right along with a heater vent and a window (the window gets glare for the most part and not actual sunlight as there is a 10ft overhang out over our front door). The other location is along the South wall, this would sit parallel to the beams, only be over 2 but there would be a wall underneath (I am not sure if this is a support wall as it's in between two beams). There is an outlet right where the stand would go. The 20L setup would go in our living room and would get indirect glare from the window in our living room by the stairs and the patio somewhat. The 30L isn't marked in the photo but would sit next to the desk on the western bookshelf.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I think I can get the 2x250 working right for the 60. The tank is 4'x2'x1'. Is this too much power for that size? Going to have some sps and a clam or two eventually. I'll have it raised off the tank about a foot or more.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up two 10 gallons yesterday during the last day of the $1 sale at petco for ato reservoirs on the 60 and the 20.
Considering light options for a coral quarantine tank to setup.
Working on modifying the 2x250 metal halide fixture, took out the Power compacts and moon light LEDS to make room for a 2x54 T5 retrofit. Going to pick up the T5 fixture at reefed.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Christmas came early (1/4 shipments coming this month):

Rodi:

T5 to retrofit into my 2x250mh fixture:

RKL, heaters, bativ8, ato switch, aqualifter:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;350023 said:
Nice! Merry Christmas to you.
Ha! This is just Christmas Eve still, getting to buy corals will be Christmas morning!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
2/4 shipments came today: 2 x Jebao RW-8.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Multi Tank Syndrome: 60F, 3x20L, 30L, 20H, 40B, 10

3/4 = Reefed:

40G breeder
60 gallon deep blue rimless frag tank
30L Nuvo
65 lbs live rock
~ 20 lbs black sand
Rio return pump
Ocean runner pump for skimmer
400 w metal halide ballast/fixture
2x250 Lumatek MH ballasts
Wavemaker
Jabeo wp-25
FritZ salt
~20 lbs real reaf Rock
2xfrag trays (205 frag plugs)
4 bulb 48" t5
Dragons breath, tongue and red macros + 1 mangrove stalk
The wife
The kids
Their stuff

Thanks reefed!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Multi Tank Syndrome: 60F, 3x20L, 30L, 20H, 40B, 10

Setup a temp tank with the live rock, heaters, macros, a fuge light, and a jabeo wp-25 set to low wave function. So far that's keeping the macros under the light until I get another one.

Everything is secured to the wall w either screws or Velcro so even though it looks like it'll fall in it won't.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
stand is almost finished.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dry live rock.
I had a few pieces of rock that I busted apart today to make rubble for my refuge. I am not sure what it's made out of but found several pieces that were solid thru.
Worth keeping?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;351523 said:
No. It'll only have surface bacteria but not the beneficial oxide and anoxic zones that real live rock has.
That's what I was thinking. Only have about a bucket of it and got it for free so no loss. Thanks Doc!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got my baffles cut yesterday and went to install today and they were a hair to long, blade width or less on the saw. So I left them and put them in at an angle.

Thought I had more silicone, going to the store tomorrow to pickup some more and put in the last two baffles.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You might be able to sand them down to size. It will take some work, but should be doable. Might need to do wet sand

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got all 4 baffles in the sump today, I went with a modified triton layout. First chamber has drain and skimmer in it, second is the refuge, third is the return. There's a 3" gap between the bottom and the first baffles for each chamber.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been cycling the rock I got with multiple macros. This red slime algae has been slowly overtaking the rocks. Ideas on how to get rid of it?
I've been adding phyto, pods, and bativ 8 to help get it cycled. Started with a few pieces of fish food about a month ago now.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;352189 said:
Flow is best to get rid of cyano although I also had luck with chemiclean
I've got a wp-25 in tank set to wave mode but with all the rock I'm sure its because of lack of flow. It's mainly on the opposite end from the pump right where the light hits the most. I'll try turning it up and repositioning the rocks for better flow.