75 gal fowlr stock! Please help

Hey everyone. Before i say anything i will let you all know i am new to this and this is my first saltwater setup. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I'm trying to get my stock of fish setup for my tank. A little about my tank: have about 100 lbs of live rock and sand. have a 30 gal refugium.
Right now I have 3 chromis, 4 damsels, 1 diamond goby, 4 trochus snails, 6 hermit crabs.
I was looking at removing the damsels and my wish list right now is:

-coral beauty angelfish
-blenny??any input on particular one would help
-sunset butterfly fish
-pair of cinnamon clown fish
-one-spot foxface
-long-nose hawkfish
-tomini tang
-leopard wrasse
-chalk bass
Please let me know what you think. Anything I need to take away. Anything differently I can add. I don't want to overcrowd but I definetly don't want to not have my full potential on my tank. Any inputs would help. Thank you

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you ever plan on keeping corals, lose the butterfly and the angelfish.

I would get a starry blenny if you want a blenny.

Lose the tang. A yellow tang is the only tang you could keep in a 75 and even that is pushing it.

Dont get cinnamon clownfish. They are incredibly agressive and territorial. Stick with percula or ocillarius genus.

The hawkfish will eat all of your snails, crabs and shrimp. If you are okay with that, you can leave it on the list. Otherwise remove it.

I would look into rehoming your damsels if you want to add more fish as they are extremely agressive and territorial.

If you remove all the fish I suggested above, you will have room for some more bioload. I would suggest fairy or flasher wrasses as long as you cover your tank, or anthias.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm am just strictly sticking with the fowlr setup. Sounds good thanks for the input. I am definetly taking out the damsels before i start adding any of these in.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djromo;346611 said:
Will the clown fish be ok in a fowlr setup
Not cinnamons. They are a-holes. If you go with the calmer genuses then they are great in a FOWLR

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djromo;346613 said:
Haha well that's good to know. I will go with one of the 2 genuses you said. With the list I have and changing the clowns.
Yes, if you lose the tang as well.

Side note: make sure you have a VERY established aquarium before adding the leopard. They are very sensitive and need an abundant live food supply (copepods) to keep them happy in between meals. They also need a 4" layer of fine grain sand an NO crushed coral or they will lacerate themselves when they sleep at night.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Then perhaps a mandarin goby instead when your tank hits the 1 year mark. They are gorgeous.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That list looks good to me. Just ditch the clown fish. Clown fish suck unless you have small kids. Swap him out for something like a niger trigger, bluethroat trigger, or sargassum trigger.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
zombie;346609 said:
If you ever plan on keeping corals, lose the butterfly and the angelfish.

I would get a starry blenny if you want a blenny.

Lose the tang. A yellow tang is the only tang you could keep in a 75 and even that is pushing it.

Dont get cinnamon clownfish. They are incredibly agressive and territorial. Stick with percula or ocillarius genus.

The hawkfish will eat all of your snails, crabs and shrimp. If you are okay with that, you can leave it on the list. Otherwise remove it.

I would look into rehoming your damsels if you want to add more fish as they are extremely agressive and territorial.

If you remove all the fish I suggested above, you will have room for some more bioload. I would suggest fairy or flasher wrasses as long as you cover your tank, or anthias.
The starry is a great choice for a blenny and would be a great choice in this tank. However there are several tangs you can keep in this sized tank that are much better choice imo then a yellow. Yellows actually need a bit bigger tank, although can be happy in a 75g, but other good options are bristletooth tangs like a two-spot tang, or kole tangs, tomini tangs and somewhat purple tangs (generally need a bit bigger tank like a yellow though too) will do fairly well in this tank too. Although note that in a 75 it only advisable to really keep 1 tang in the tank unless oyu are experienced in keeping them happy.

Well I really do want at least a tang, The sunset butterfly, the coral beauty angelfish and possibly the one-spot foxface. I love these fish. Is that doable. Also what can I possibly add with them

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djromo;346686 said:
Beautiful fish that trigger is. So the fish that I listed....that's not going to be overcrowding?
I would honestly go with a foxface OR a trigger OR a tang. Not enough space in a 75 to prevent agression between multiple large fish.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
zombie;346687 said:
I would honestly go with a foxface OR a trigger OR a tang. Not enough space in a 75 to prevent agression between multiple large fish.
ya I agree, one large fish in this tank will do well, two kind of iffy but possible, three is asking for serious trouble

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djromo;346690 said:
OK well that's kind of disappointing lol
Yeah, but gives you incentive to upgrade down the road. If you ever upgrade to a 180 or larger, your stocking choices will skyrocket.