MASC Club Member Photo Gallery Contest

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Time to pull out those cameras, and let your inner shutterbug free. Let's see your best shots!

Contest will run from now until ReefED, which will be sometime in April/May (TBD).

Rules
- Must be uploaded to an album in the media gallery. (Its the Media link in the top navigation bar) (not available through the apps, need to use the browser to access)
- Must be a Club member to upload to the Media gallery
- Label your album as - "USERNAME Marine gallery contest"
- Must have at least 20 or more photos in the album.
- Can be any photos of anything Marine related. Can be yours, or other peoples tanks, public tanks, scuba/ocean photos, ect... Just has to be your photos and be Marine related.
- Must be a photo that was taken by you.

Judging
MASC BOD (that didnt participate) will judge all entries as a group to decide the Winners. BOD members may participate in the contest, but then they can't be a judge if they do.
Galleries will be judged on the following criteria:
- General aesthetics and Presentation
- Color and Composition
- Range of subjects (Coral, FTS, fish, other livestock, plants, ect...)

Prizes
1st place - $300 in gift cards
2nd place - $150 in gift cards
3rd place - $50 gift card

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Got a good start tonight thought there are about a dozen photos that I cannot get to upload no matter what I do

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Got a good start tonight thought there are about a dozen photos that I cannot get to upload no matter what I do
hmm, are they bigger then the others or something different about them somehow? Maybe try saving them as a different format and then try?

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Same type same sizes, actually is whole days worth of photos, one day might be just fine but a next day not a single one will upload, sometimes if I crop and edit them more I can get them to upload but not every time

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
hmm strange

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Well did some checking and can't find anything that should be limiting your uploads. I'm guessing that it might have some other limitation set somewhere on how much you can upload per session. I'll keep digging though and see
Either way this contest is still a-go, so everyone who wants a shot at the prizes should get to uploading their best photos. If more people experience the issue it may help me narrow down the cause more.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Is there a deadline to be eligible for this contest?
You can take and upload photos until Reef ED in the spring, so there's plenty of time to get lots of great photos in

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Great timing! I just pulled out my DSLR and got a version of Adobe Lightroom for my business.

Are there any limits on how much I tweak my photos to make them look better? Enhanced composition? I think I can make them look like alien offspring if I do enough manipulation.

I’ll post up some links when I get a chance for some reef related DSLR videos in case anyone else wants to learn with me.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Great timing! I just pulled out my DSLR and got a version of Adobe Lightroom for my business.

Are there any limits on how much I tweak my photos to make them look better? Enhanced composition? I think I can make them look like alien offspring if I do enough manipulation.

I’ll post up some links when I get a chance for some reef related DSLR videos in case anyone else wants to learn with me.
Oh sure fancy DSLR, just kidding and good luck, just wait till I get back from Mexico with more wild shots

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster

No restrictions on editing them, although you will want them to look fairly close to accurate colors. Part of the judging will be about composition, so make them the best shots you can ;)

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
My fish never want to strike a pose. If I don't win, I blame them.
I have the same problem, hard to get a high enough ISO on my cheap camera to get good fish shots unless they all decide to hold still.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Indeed it is, and I am not far behind you lol
As a bright side, since you are the only one to participate in this one, I guess that makes you the winner!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
haha, so you did. My bad, didnt see you there. Album wasn't quite labeled correctly but no biggy. Love your pic of the Manadrin! Got some gift cards for you as well then ;) Thanks for participating