1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

90 gallon slow and steady build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by neil82, Mar 27, 2018.

1. neil82

neil82 Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

I'm getting this thread started to share the progress of my new tank build. Thanks for taking a look and feel free to share any thoughts or ideas.
    I'm calling it the 'slow and steady' build because the wheels started in motion about 2.5 years ago. We had an unfinished basement, so the first step was to finish the basement with the end goal of setting up a new tank down there. My wife and I did the work ourselves. We just passed final inspection a few weeks ago. I've been collecting equipment and daydreaming about this tank for the same length of time.
    I'll list out the equipment I'll be using and post a couple pics of how things stand as of today.

90 gallon reef ready tank
    20 gallon long for sump
    (2) Galaxyhydro Wi-Fi & Manual control 55x3w dimmable 165w LED light fixtures
    Reef Octopus Classic 152-S skimmer
    (2) Eheim Jager 200w heaters
    (2) BRS 1.1 ml/min dosing pumps
    (2) VorTech MP40s w/battery backup
    Apex Jr w/4 outlet energy bar & temp probe
    Eheim 1262 return pump

I'd like to use the Apex Jr to control the heaters and the dosing pumps. I've never used an Apex before, so we'll see how it goes.

20180325_161004-1600x1200.jpg 20180327_133705-1600x1200.jpg 20180327_133836-1600x1200.jpg

SkyShark and SynDen like this.
  2. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Awesome! Following along for sure.

3. zombie

zombie Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Apex is pretty easy. Tell me what you want it to do exactly and I can give you optimized code with failsafes that you can just copy/paste in. You might want to consider picking up a WXM and another energy bar (there are some used ones right now on the classifieds) so that you can take full advantage of its capabilities and features.

I don't see an ATO in your list. What is your plan for that?

neil82 likes this.
  4. CRW Reef

CRW Reef MASC President Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Sweet!! Nice work on finishing out the basement!

Bring on the water!!!!

5. neil82

Thanks Zombie! That would be super helpful.
    Still up in the air with ATO. On my current system I have a mechanical float valve that uses a gravity feed siphon for top off. It has never failed. I have not used an electronic ATO and I'll just be honest and say I'm a little skittish about them.

6. neil82

There is a good chance my distrust of ATO systems is unfounded. Again, I have never used one. Can you let me know some pros/cons from your experiences?

7. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Honestly with ATOs, the simple solution is often the best solution. If the gravity feed works for you then stick with it imo.
    My big tank is going to be gravity fed as well. I only use an ATO on my 75g because my RO is under it and cant be gravity fed to it.

8. SUS

SUS Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

If you’re going to go with an Apex, the ATK kit is pretty sweet for top off. I’ve been really happy with mine so far.

9. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

Tunze ato is the way to go

Legonch likes this.
  10. neil82

Thanks for the feedback. I'd be super disappointed if I had an overflow due to ATO failure.

11. SkyShark

SkyShark Barracuda Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I’m with balz, the tuner ato is the way to go. Get the one with the optical sensor and float valve as a backup. They also can only stay on a certain amount of time. Just make sure your water level can never rise to the level of the output tube.

neil82 likes this.
  12. neil82

Working on skin and trim for the stand. Getting close to putting the tank on top. 20180422_132802-1200x1600.jpg 20180422_175933-1200x1600.jpg

13. zombie

zombie Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Not if you have an apex. The best ATO money can buy is a good peristaltic dosing pump in the 50-400ml/min range or a good low flow pump like the tunze pump without their controller, two optical sensors, and two floats. All controlled by the apex itself.

The tunze controller primes every time it turns on, isn't adjustable, and can't alert you when there is a problem without some ridiculously crazy workarounds that only kinda work on a 2016 apex.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MASC mobile app

14. neil82

15. neil82

Trying to make progress on the stand. Finished up trim and painting. Picked up butcher block counter top (poplar) to put under the tank. Need to stain and finish the butcher block top. Hopefully more updates soon. 20180512_194806-1600x1200.jpg

Robbiekrause33 and SynDen like this.