90 gallon sps reef aquarium build.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hi, so I finally found the time to post how the new 90 gallon is doing. So I bought the tank, stand, and a t5 light from aqua imports for $300. From there I got it drilled and an overflow installed by elite reef for $150. It has two 1.5 inch bulk heads. I have that draining into the storage room next door. For filtration I have a DIY 30 gallon refugium. I haven't put any algae in it yet since the tank has just started to cycle and there is barely any ammonia and phosphate. I was planning to do sea grass, but I changed my mind and decided to go with macro algae. I have a protein skimmer and phosphate reactor on standby. For temperature control I'm using an old chiller and heater. The tank has 90 pounds of marco dry rock and 2 pounds live rock to seed it. Right now I'm using an old 150w metal halide and 21 cree xpgs until I can go all LEDs some time later. I know it isn't the best measurement of light, but my LUX meter is showing that the LEDs are putting out about 1.5x the light of the metal halide; about the same as 200-250w metal halide. I won't have any sps in it for a while any way, so I don't think light is a problem. I'm using a few old pumps connected to an ocean pulse wave maker for flow. I have it on 20 second intervals, so I get a surge effect like during changing tides. So far things are going well with the tank. I plan to recreate a fiji reef, so most of the live stock I want to have will be from that area or the south pacific. I'll keep you guys posted if anything happens.

Here's a video I made of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNUZC8F3eJ8

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking good

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, my parents what it to remain as anonymous as possible.

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
your parents are right. good work kid-o, dude if your sure your gonna keep them this time, lmk when your ready for your first sps frag, i can help you out

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol, thanks. I might do that, but it will be in a while since I have to cycle the dry rock for a few months.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon, your new avatar kind of looks like you.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. One thing I like about marco rocks is even the base rock has some awesome shapes.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's been two weeks now and I have some questions on cycling marco rocks. From what I understand it should take a month or more to cycle it. If that is true than things seem to be going a little quickly. I have 90 pounds dry rock and 2 pounds live rock seeding it. I added some fish food to get things started. Last week the ammonia spiked at .75, now it's .25 and the nitrite is .75. The phosphate and nitrate are at 0. Things seem to be going quicker than I thought. Last time I cycled a tank it was live rock only and I had to wait three weeks before adding the first fish. The way things are going it seems that the marco rocks will be ready in the same amount of time. This seems a bit fishy since it would make sense for it to take longer. I'm just wondering if I'm doing it right, and how long it should take to cycle.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Macro rock has nothing in it to die off. I think a quick cycle is normal with it. Wait a bit longer if you are worried... Longer will not hurt anything.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You are correct, it should, and will take longer to cycle, and with all that open reef space I hope you were SUPER picky about the seed rock.
Nuisance algae is usually the most invasive, and will out compete the more desirable stuff.
The lack of organics in the marco does mean no curing, but also means bacteria will colonize those areas much more slowly.
Was the sand all new, or good ol' muddy?

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have live rock from elite reef seeding it. So far the only nuisance algae I have is minimal diatom film on the sand and a few rocks; it's thin enough to see through. I'm using new sand, no "mud". I was planning to introduce the first fish some time in august, but if that could happen sooner, great. When do you guys think I should add my fist fish?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yup, a big cocktail shrimp would work too, grind it up and toss it in, when the nitrites read -0- you are good to get fish, I wouldnt do any water changes during this period, just good flow and lots of aeration to keep redox on the high side.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Would a table spoon of fish food work?