A beginner's LED build

I started this thread on the SCMAS site, and wanted to migrate it over here as well to get the opinions of some more CO reefers!

I have been plotting like a mad scientist since the day I got my tank running and today I pulled the trigger and ordered the goods from Rapid LED. What I've found in my reading on the subject is that everyone has an opinion on LED builds and for the most part those opinions are strong. So I wanted to present anyone who finds themselves in the situation I am in a step-by-step build guide that includes my rationale for the decisions I made. That way someone can see how I arrived at my conclusions and either agree and get tips, or vehemently disagree and know what they DON'T want to do. Either way I am thrilled to get started building this and glad to be able to share the process with some of my local reefers!

That being said I love constructive criticism so if there is something I am doing that I can change and do better please do let me know!

So here is my plan..

I had a few things going into this build plan that I knew I wanted;
1. I am dead set on having this fixture dimmable, with independent color controls.
2. I wanted my drivers to be able to play nice with the Reef Angel Controller, which I will be purchasing when my build gets close to done.
3. I am really hoping to build something that is not hideous, but we'll see!

I was initially planning on going with the Bridgelux LEDs featured on Aquastyle Online, but couldn't get one of their dimmable kits because they don't support PWM dimming, which the Reef Angel uses. So I looked into just buying the LEDs from Aquastyle because the prices are incredible and there was a great build featured on the forums here that used them.

In the end I decided to go with Cree LEDS for a few reasons, first of which was these two cost comparisons (I'm going to use rough numbers).

Bridgelux - (72 LED x $2) + (6 Drivers x $34) + (72 Optics x $.50) = $384

Cree - (52 LED w/Optics x $5.50) + (4 Drivers x $34) = $422

This only includes costs that would have been variant between the two builds.

So we had a difference of $38 to go with Cree which gives me 60 Watts less power usage consumption with getting to order from Rapid LED whom quite a few people have said good things about.

Once I had the LEDs picked it was time to go about picking out a heatsink. I looked at a few sizes and put them in Google Sketchup with 55 degree lenses to see what kind of coverage I would get. I wound up choosing the 6x9 Anodized Black heatsink again from Rapid LED. I feel pretty good about the light coverage, especially when I consider that I have my tank set up with two piles of LR which would be perfectly positioned under each light.

I am concerned about putting LEDs that close together on a heatsink (there will be about 3/4 inch between them) but to combat this have only purchased the two-fan power kit from Rapid LED, their fan runs 44CFM so I am ordering 2 75CFM case fans from Newegg instead. Hopefully this provides enough cooling considering I shouldn't be running the LEDS near full-power. I will get some temperature readings once I get it built, so for now I'm hoping my plan is good.

Heres an example of what my LED layout will look like. The blues are XT-E Royal Blue, White are XP-G R5 Cool White.

There will be two MeanWell 60-48p drivers for each fixture, to control colors independently. I will put 12 Cool Whites on a driver and 14 Royal Blues on a driver each.

Other notes for the build
- I will use the Y-shaped hanging kit. Part of why I love that heat sink is the extruded fins are designed to work with it.
- LEDs on the perimeter will have 55 or 65 degree lenses while LEDs in the center will have 80 degree lenses to help with light spread.
- I'm going to run both drivers per color off of one Power cord to simplify control with the Reef Angel

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like you did all your research and have it all planned out. I really don't see any problems with your build that concern me.

Tagging along to see how it goes.

First build update

I was pleasantly surprised to have the doorbell ring this morning and guess what was waiting for me?

I have to purchase a few more supplies from Radioshack and Home Depot, so I won't get started until probably Thursday evening, so until I'll share with you what I've got so far.

Everything was packaged good and tight, with correct quantities on everything and look, a freebie!

So I laid everything out to check out what it all looks like

Before I had to get busy for the day I took a minute to balance the Y-shaped hanging kit which took an Allen wrench and about 5 minutes. I simply laid the heat sink down to keep it level and pulled the hanger up to the middle and re-tightened the Allen screw.

Thursday I plan to get down to business with tinning and spacing out LEDs. At the advice of Doyle I'm going to see if it will be possible for me to have my strings completely pre-soldered before I adhere them down. He mentioned that otherwise the heatsink makes soldering darn difficult and maybe even bad for the LED.

Second Build Update

I got impatient to get down to work on the lights and thought I'd share my progress with everyone.

The first thing I did was use a ruler and pencil to draw on my heatsink the markings from my Sketchup design, nothing fancy here. I've seen other builds where people drew some exotic patterns, I just used guide lines and dots for the sides of the LED star.

After drawing all my guide lines, I sat at my table and stared for a bit trying to figure out the order in which I would do things. Doyle recommended pre-wiring my LED strings before I adhered them to the heatsink, but that would make positioning and adhering the LEDs a nightmare as I didn't just have straight rows of the same color like he has. Eventually I decided that I felt confident soldering wires to the stars after I had epoxied them in place. So I went ahead and mixed up a batch of the Arctic Alumina.

If anyone does read this thread and uses any of my tips for building their own LED rig, here are a few suggestions you might want to pay attention to.

1.) The 5 minute set time goes by insanely fast so only mix a very small amount of adhesive. That picture is the amount I mixed, it was good for 6-7 LEDs or 5 minutes, whichever came first.

2.) When you read everyone else saying, "Just use a VERY small amount of the epoxy, you barely need any", heed their advice.. the second picture is what happens when you apply just a weee bit too much. It won't ruin functionality, but we are trying to build something to be proud of here.

3.) I bought two sets of Arctic Alumina just in case. For 52 LEDs, I used perhaps half of one set, so maybe don't waste your money getting too much adhesive like I did.

After letting the LEDs firmly cure while attending class today, I came home and got busy soldering. I used some 18ga stranded wire I got from Radioshack because the 22ga I ordered from Rapid LED just utterly failed to impress me. The 18ga is pretty beefy, so I bent, stripped and cut each piece individually, then tinned the ends and soldered it onto the tinned terminals on the star. Things went pretty smooth but I'll let you look for yourself.

Needle nose pliers were simply indispensable during this job. By the time I got one heatsink soldered up, it was getting about time to call it for the night, but I couldn't resist putting on the lenses before bed. I used 100% silicone sealant in a minute quantity to keep the lenses in place. At first I tried dabbing the silicone on the edge of the lens and putting it down, but found it much easier to put a bit on a toothpick and apply to the edge of the lens like a spot-weld.

So this is where I'm ending tonight with one last picture of the light with lenses applied and drying. Hopefully I'll be able to report some more progress in the next few days.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great work. Love the documentation . Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Build is looking good. What size tank are these lights going over?

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was just saying the other day I wish someone would give a class on DIY LED.. Well done sir and keep up the good work!!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
RefferMatt;136979 said:
I was just saying the other day I wish someone would give a class on DIY LED.. Well done sir and keep up the good work!!
That would be a great idea, maybe we can plan a DIY build for one of our upcoming meetings and then raffle off the finished light.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;136982 said:
That would be a great idea, maybe we can plan a DIY build for one of our upcoming meetings and then raffle off the finished light.
It's a good idea. We did it last year and, not only did the light turn out to be solid, but the raffle for it turned out great.

Mini T

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Want to do it at the firehouse? I have plenty of room for tables.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;136982 said:
DROOL!! Yes Please!

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think that sounds like a great idea. I will probably be mostly done with my build but I know a few people want hands on advice.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
It would be cool if those who have done DIY lights could bring them (if not being used of course) for other people to see the different ways these are done?

Dv3, I used the 18ga multi-strand that you can pick up at Radioshack. I'd like the strands to be a little finer for soldering purposes, but for bending it's nice and strong.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great write. Where's the rest? LOL

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rest is waiting for me to build it! Hopefully I will have an update Thursday night or so.