A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have had three power outages so far this year. Longest one was about 4 hours. I'm glad to have battery backup on the mp40s.
I'm sorry your solar install went sideways.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
For me, battery backup (UPS) only applies to the gear which will notify a power outage has happened. It doesn’t support any real gear.

Solar doesn’t help because of the way Excel interfaces. It just offsets power consumption. Net metering. Or so I’ve been told that there is no option for direct backup.

The solar system size is borderline absolute limit for a residential install. So, read into that a significant investment. 62 panels. 2 inverters.

I’m no princess and don’t ever ask for special treatment. But considering the investment, I would at least expect this company to treat me with the same professionalism and respect I show my customers no matter the size of job.

They continue to disappoint me. Changed out my main power panel and didn’t re-label circuits. So, I’ll have to figure it out over time. Simple and easy thing to do on their part. They had the old panel. They’ll be back today, or so they said. It’s 1:00 and no show so far. Supposed to complete the system for final inspection. Complete BS.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sorry to hear about the rough experience with this company. Interesting about not being able to run off the solar panels. Would it be possible with a Tesla battery to run say 1/2 the panels to it?

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sucks to hear it’s a horrible company. I kind of have the same question, with Tesla batteries couldn’t you use them as battery back up? Or wouldn’t be worth it to have it charged just to wait for a power outage a couple times a year.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The Tesla system (I think they’re represented by Solar City) might be organized a little bit differently. They might be able to tie directly to the Tesla batteries.

However, my assumption would be that the battery wall or Tesla system would still be charged directly from the utility side and then provide the power backup locally during a power outage similar to conventional smaller UPS. I don’t know if they can be charged directly from solar panels during a power outage.

For us, a generator makes more sense considering the cost of the battery panels needed and the few outages we actually see. Plus, I haven’t seen battery technology that’s good for more than 8-10 years. 5-8 years is the replacement plan for batteries (90+ deep cycle marine batteries at each site) to maintain public safety radio sites I maintained up until last November. Maybe Tesla claims are better.

I’ve been told by every solar company we interviewed that were forced to use Excel’s net metering system. The solar energy we generate goes straight out to the utility grid through a meter that measures that generated energy as well as the energy consumed. The energy generated is “banked”. Meaning, if we’re generating more than we use, it goes to a credit on our account. During the winter when we’re likely to generate less than we use, we can draw on the “banked” energy.

We pay the difference or, for future home owners who aren’t going to have an industrial aquatics facility in the basement, they should receive a check from Excel.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
This company seems pretty bad. I’d make them go through and label all the breakers. I’m pretty sure that’s part of the inspection. Are you intentionally not naming them?

That’s strange that the solar doesn’t first feed your house and then the extra goes to the grid.

Some old neighbors of mine (in California) had a Tesla battery and they could control if the solar was going to the house, the battery, or the grid.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's actually illegal in the state of Colorado to have solar battery backups... Im sure I'm phrasing that wrong but it's kinda like the rain water thing. Before a few years ago it was illegal to store rainwater. Well it's illegal to store your solar power.... Extremely stupid but yeah
Interesting! I hadn’t heard that before.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Here are some updated photos. Taken with cell phone and filter (UV blocking sunglasses).

I’m somewhat satisfied with where the tank is at. Working on trying to increase coloration (too low of nutrients in the system) I’m guessing.

I have a bunch of fish in QT that should be transplanted before the July meeting at my place. Hoping the increased poo and increased feedings will naturally bump up nutrients. After those are clear from QT, I’ll be getting another batch of Anthias and Wrasses baking in the QT.

View attachment 15052

View attachment 15053

View attachment 15054

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Looks really healthy! The fish poop should help feed the coral color a bit for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’ll be getting another batch of Anthias and Wrasses baking in the QT.
I recently added a blue star leopard wrasse, quickly moving to the top of the charts of the "Oooooh, what is that fish called?" line of questioning. I don't know if you've ever tried one, but I'd give it a go if you are looking at more wrasses.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I recently added a blue star leopard wrasse, quickly moving to the top of the charts of the "Oooooh, what is that fish called?" line of questioning. I don't know if you've ever tried one, but I'd give it a go if you are looking at more wrasses.
That is a fine looking fish. Makes me want to put on some Berry White on the ol’ jukebox.

View attachment 15059

I did pick up a random wrasse from AA. Seemed nice in the store. I fell in love once I got it home in QT. Really pretty fish. Unfortunately, found it lodged in a rock a week into QT. I need to find another replacement. I didn’t write down the name and I’m hopeless when it comes to coral/fish names.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That is a fine looking fish. Makes me want to put on some Berry White on the ol’ jukebox.

View attachment 15059

I did pick up a random wrasse from AA. Seemed nice in the store. I fell in love once I got it home in QT. Really pretty fish. Unfortunately, found it lodged in a rock a week into QT. I need to find another replacement. I didn’t write down the name and I’m hopeless when it comes to coral/fish names.
Are you asking about the wrasse in your picture? If so it’s leopard and it needs sand to hide in probably why it wedged itself in the rock.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks Juan. I was just posting up a picture of the wrasse Chris was talking about.

I don’t have a picture of the wrasse I lost but it was some sort of ferry wrasse, I think. I actually do have sand in one QT tank which goes against conventional QT procedures but I don’t medicate. So, QT is more of a holding and observation period for me. A chance to fatten them up and run through 30 days of UV treated water. (No UV on my display normally).

But, it is a good point of conversation. What’s the proper way to QT wrasses that need to have sand? For those that run a stripped down QT system and medicate?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Juan. I was just posting up a picture of the wrasse Chris was talking about.

I don’t have a picture of the wrasse I lost but it was some sort of ferry wrasse, I think. I actually do have sand in one QT tank which goes against conventional QT procedures but I don’t medicate. So, QT is more of a holding and observation period for me. A chance to fatten them up and run through 30 days of UV treated water. (No UV on my display normally).

But, it is a good point of conversation. What’s the proper way to QT wrasses that need to have sand? For those that run a stripped down QT system and medicate?
Great question! My guess tear the tank down after with the sand and thoroughly clean. Bleach or something. Just use a Rubbermaid container with sand maybe be able to pull the sand out after and not have to tear down?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've been working on trying to boost the nutrient levels in my system. I've been adding fish, feeding more, and so far it's not enough. I'll be getting some more fish going in QT again soon. I did some major cleaning in the fish QT and now have a mini cycle going there. I had some live rock in that system that I dried out and started over which is the cause for the cycle.

I've also been adding some bottled solutions for boosting nitrate and phos to at least measurable levels. Since doing that, slowly, I have finally seen the needle move a little on nutrients. Almost instantly, the junk algae in my refugium has started to dissipate and I can see old suppressed things like cheato, red kelp, and some other desirable things reviving in the refugium. More importantly, the blue corals in my tank are looking a little more vivid.