A Golden Reef Tank

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've been preparing for this project for over 3 years. So, I'll get right to it! I haven't been able to make it to a club meeting yet, but I'm a proud club member. I live out in Golden and have been planning some sort of peninsula tank since I took down my SPS tank in Washington state in preparation for our move to Co.

I just put the down payment on a tank that is being ordered through through Cris at Aquatic Art. Here is a quick sketch of the tank as it will hopefully look once done:

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm calling the thread "A Golden Reef Tank" for two reasons. The first is obvious: I live in Golden. The second is a much geekier reason. My background is in embedded systems (a computer with a dedicated function within a larger system) and computer software. I'm also an electronics tech with a background in RF. The only thing keeping me from being the stereotypical geek is that I hate Star Trek (sorry everyone).

The proportions for the tank's viewable area roughly match what mathematicians call the Golden Ratio.

Excerpt from the Wiki article on the Golden Ratio:

"In mathematics, two quantities are in the golden ratio if their ratio is the same as the ratio of their sum to the larger of the two quantities. The figure on the right illustrates the geometric relationship. Expressed algebraically, for quantities a and b with a > b > 0,
where the Greek letter phi (
or
) represents the golden ratio. Its value is:

"

So, the Golden Ratio is seen by some as the ideal proportion to base dimensions on. Why not try to build a tank that matches that?

The display area of this tank will be 48" x 48" (footprint) x 36" tall. The bottom 2" of the tank will be covered by the counter that will be installed around the perimeter which also covers up the 2" metal bracing that the manufacturer is installing. The top 2" of the tank will be covered by the hood which also has bracing. You won't see the water line or much of the sand bed from the display. That leaves 32" of vertical viewing pleasure. 32" x 48" roughly matches the Golden Ratio. It's a little too deep to be perfect, however the builder told me it would be cheaper to order a 36" deep tank than a 30-34" deep tank. So, who can refuse that?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Haddonisreef;362676 said:
Wow that's some planning!! Look forward to meeting u will be hosting once it's done!:)
I'll be more than happy to host a meeting. It will be at least a year before that's worth your time. The basement build in general is just getting started and I have a list of Wife's priorities to get to before I can dedicate a lot to the tank and filtration room. Until then, I'll stock up equipment in preparation.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Here is what I sent to the manufacturer to get the ball rolling. They proposed an alternative to the eurobracing I had drawn in. They're going to put a metal framework around the tank top (and bottom I believe) to brace. The dimensions here generally represent what's being made.

The tank being built is actually 48" wide x 62" long x 36" deep. The back 14" is for overflow with "dry boxes" on either side. I've seen this used on a few tanks. Specifically, I watched a video years ago before I moved to Co of a tank up in Evergreen. Most of you probably know of that tank. I believe Cris helped make that tank a reality. I will use the dry boxes for the same purpose, to put MP-40's or 60's in. The overflow area is roughly 24" x 14". That will be used just like any other overflow. In the future, I might put an additional submersible pump in there if I need that extra flow to an area the Vortecs can't reach.

The overflow will be inside the wall and spill over into the filtration room which is directly behind the aquarium.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very nice, I remember your robotics post from a while back. Welcome to Colorado!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Those of you that watch my workshop coming together recognize all of the SketchUp drawings. I've drawn up this project and the basement so many times and in so many different ways, I'm not going to re-draw the filtration room based on the changes the contractor has made in the layout. However, this will give you a good idea what components will be going into the filtration room.

The access door to the filtration room isn't drawn in, but you get the idea.

RO/DI will likely go along the wall to the right in this image below. The refugium will go to the left as you enter the room. The QT system is along the opposite wall separate from everything else.

I had a crazy idea about having an additional sump hooked on to the back of the glass tank being made. Cris talked me out of it because it didn't really accomplish all that much but I'm not going to take the time to remove it from the sketchup model. The rack towards the middle of the image below is a frag grow-out area. It will be hooked to the main system along with the refugium, however I'm going to make it so that it can run as a stand-alone unit simply by turning off the pump that supplies it from the main sump of the display.

The sink area isn't going to be along the wall it's drawn on here. It will be on the wall to the left along that "closet". That closet needs to be there to house the home water filtration unit. I will also be recycling the washing machine my wife hates. She's getting a new laundry area in the basement with new equipment. Why not stick her washer in the "fish room" to clean towels, filters, other nasty stuff? I want to build a frag saw station into the counter area as well. I don't know if I'll have space, but I already have the saw. It was going to cost too much to run the plumbing to this wall where there is plenty of room.

These are the frag tanks. I already had the tanks made two years ago when I started planning this. I just need to buy (or build) some shelves to put this together.

This is the QT section. I already have all of these tanks. I salvaged them from a store going out of business in Tacoma Wa two years ago when I started planning this. I will also have a coral QT tank with a dedicated sump. I might end up plumbing all of this together but don't have a solid plan yet. I know I'll want to isolate the fish QT tanks periodically for medication or other issues. That's an issue long down the road. Again, I just need shelving and time to put it together.

A couple other things of note:

- They're installing a floor drain. I will put a skim coat of self-leveling concrete in the fish room to even things out and help direct water to the drain (I hope). Then, I will coat the floor with some sort of garage/shop floor paint with an abrasive to help prevent falls.

-I'm going to coat the first 8' of the fish room with FRP. I will also do a couple other things suggested by members here to seal the moisture in this room where I can vent it out.

-Some sections of ceiling will be 9' tall. I'm really happy about that extra foot!

-Because they're installing a washing machine, they are required by code to put in a ceiling vent fan. I don't know what the CFM of the fan is they're putting in, but I hope it can handle this room. If not, I might replace it for a bigger unit or find other ways to deal with moisture.

-The hood on the tank will be open on the back into the filtration room. So, I won't have moisture trapped in there and can easily circulate fresh air and have easy access.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ReeferMatt;362682 said:
Very nice, I remember your robotics post from a while back. Welcome to Colorado!

Thanks Matt. I will have a camera or cameras on this tank. I haven't given much research as to what camera I'll use, but I should have some way everyone here can go swimming in my tank. It might be a stationary unit that can handle pan and tilt. My wife put a restriction on the height of the hood and my first priority is a healthy reef. If I can fit something more complicated under that hood that lets you navigate through the water, I will. Most likely, the camera will be stuck in a corner.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Walter White;362692 said:
Very Nice! A man after my own heart. Subscribed
Thanks for following. One of the things on my //TODO list is to read back over your build thread. I'm a big believer in learning from other's success.

tomtom2245;362693 said:
This is going to be awesome when it's done!
I'm going to try and enjoy every step of the process and not rush it.

Balz3352;362696 said:
Wow nice! Do you plan on getting steel stands made for everything?
I thought long and hard about building the stands for everything myself. I did a lot of research into welding equipment. I'm a fairly competent cabinet-maker. I'm sure I could pick up welding with some practice. But, I've almost given up on the idea. As happy as I am with my workshop, I just don't have room for welding. There's too much wood around my shop and I'm paranoid about setting a fire with a smoldering ember and I don't have room to build a dedicated metal fabrication section.

So, the short answer is that I am having a metal stand made for the tank. The tank manufacturer is doing that work. I didn't ask specifically, but I doubt they would warranty the tank without their sources building the stand. The stand they provide will have an integrated "cat-walk" around the display section for the counter to sit on. That will be the bar area to sit and watch the tank or the service platform for me to stand on while wearing my goggles and snorkel trying to reach the bottom of the tank in the middle for a frag I've lost.

The rest of the equipment will likely be organized on industrial grade shelving I've found at Grainger.

SkyShark;362697 said:
Awesome! A dream build for sure. Following along.
Thanks, good to have you following.

MuralReef;362700 said:
Looks like it will be impressive!
I'm looking forward to really being able to focus on the tank.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
A Golden Reef Tank

Balz3352;362725 said:
Do you have a link on what you're thinking of using? Just trying to research for my basement too. Although will be nowhere as cool as yours.
This is one of the types of shelving I'm considering.

http://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/EDSAL-Bulk-Storage-Rack-Starter-10Z437

I will have to add custom decking to place on each shelf for support across the entire tank. What I linked to says it can handle 3600lb per shelf. I don't know how much they might sag with a 48" x 24" x 12" frag tank (500-600 lbs). I will definitely do some testing ahead of time so I don't blow the seams in the acrylic tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;362870 said:
I knew there must be a few of us out here. I will make sure to invite you over as the project starts to come together. Let me know if you need anything.
Would love that. Those are some serious projects - both past and present...

I think we have an reef aquarium "celebrity" in Golden with Jake from ReefBuilders.com, but I've not met him...

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I work near Colorado Mills, so also not too far away if you need some help.

quackenbush;362893 said:
I think we have an reef aquarium "celebrity" in Golden with Jake from ReefBuilders.com, but I've not met him...
Jake moved to Southern California earlier this year.