acan fast growth

vines

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
In the last 3 weeks, my acans have grown 5 new polyps, at about 1/2" is this normal growth? seems a little fast.....

sweat044

Butterfly Fish
What kind of lights are you running? What size tank? Are you spot feeding? I am asking because I have a couple acans and they aren't doing very well.

vines

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
6 t5 in a 90, no spot feeding, try keeping your salinity constant, when I kept it very constant, I noticed more growth

andynco

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
My acans don't grow vary fast under my leds too.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My acans are abour 18 inches below my 6 bulb t5 set up. I have been debating moving them to the sand bed to try and get a bit of the yellow coloration they had back. Not sure if this is a good idea or not as they seem to be doing ok otherwise. I have only had them for about two weeks so I really can't say if they are "growing", I get good feeder extension though. I know if I leave them where they are they will be able to grow into a shaded area, which I hope will bring back that color as well, my issue is I have a 30 inch deep tank so the sand bed is very far away.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The research I have seen shows that feeding will make them grow faster but is not needed for growth. They also warn that over feeding can actually kill the coral.