1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Adding Clownfish to existing tank with a clown

Discussion in 'Fish' started by cubuffs, Aug 6, 2019.

1. cubuffs

cubuffs Copepod

Hello,

I have a clown in a 6o gallon tank that has two anemones in it. He is about 2" and I have had him for about 2 years now. He is a black and white ocellaris.

Is it ok to get another clown? If so, could I switch species and get a percula clown too?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. ReefCheif

ReefCheif Shark Platinum Sponsor M.A.S.C Club Member

Stick with same species and make sure the new one to be introduced is smaller than the one you already have.

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  3. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

It can be done, but it can be hit or miss. I introduced a lightning maroon to a gold nugget maroon who was already established it took a few isolation attempts but they eventually got it.

4. neil82

neil82 Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

I tried this with a couple picassos. At first there was agression from the larger clown that was already established. I put that fish in an acclimation box, which may have helped a bit, but there was still aggression when they were back together. Nothing crazy though. Just territorial. Within a few months they were buddies. Now they have really bonded and stick together.

5. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

ya, you can add another clown, but must make sure its smaller and not a female. If its a female and yours is also a female, they will fight to the death. I wouldnt mix species either as that could end badly too.