Adding more feedings without crashing tank

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have a little 5 gallon reef tank. I do weekly water changes with quality salt mix and add 2 part halfway through the week to supplement. Everything seems to be growing well. I have recently added a few new LPS corals and would like to add feeding to the regimen. I am worried though that increasing my feedings from once a week to 2 or more times a week will skyrocket phosphates and other nutrients in the tank. I run chemi-pure elite blue in the filter. Should I add anything else? I could throw some chaeto into the back but I don't think I can put enough in to make a difference. I feed mysis. Is there another food I should consider?

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any fish or just corals? If just corals, once a week feedings is plenty. Is there a reason you want to feed more? I like feeding my corals reef chili and adding Acro Power with feedings. If you want to feed more, you can always do a bigger water change. 100% water change is fine. Just make sure temp and alkalinity match. There is a neat article on a 1.5 gallon vase reef in the most recent issue of reef hobbyist.

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a single clownfish. I guess there is no reason to increase feedings. Just thought that if it helped coral growth why not? I hear a lot about reef chili but I don't know anything about it. I will have to look into it.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should be feeding the clown small feedings every day (or at least every other day). I personally avoid target feedings of coral and just let them have whatever my fish missed.

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I feed the clown a couple pellets everyday. And I target feed once a week. I target feed because I like to make sure the food I put into the tank is eaten. It's a small space and while I do have some scavengers I like to avoid food rotting.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Based on your feeding and the fact that there is fish poop, I would say you don't need to feed any more.