Adjustable exterior float valve for a mixing tank?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
So I have been trying to come up with a solution for my mixing tank. Its a 250g cube tank, but I want to be able to adjust how much water I make at a time. That way if I only want to make 50g, 100g, or 200g I can just adjust the position of the float valve accordingly. The problem its that I dont want to crawl inside the tank to make the adjustment. I want to be able to adjust it from the outside, but I havent figured out a way to achieve this. Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish something like that?

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How about one of those ATO switches that use the water pressure to turn on and off a switch, add a length of tubing to it, mark the tubing with each level and then you can "dangle" it into the tank.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Or just use a magnetic float/sensor and slide it up or down according to how much you want to mix.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Hmm, I think I see what your thinking. Basically mark of 50g increments on the clear tube, and pull or push the tube to adjust it accordingly? Not a bad idea and fairly simple. Not super acurate, but not sure I need to be perfect on a mixing tank

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
MuralReef;n653480 said:
Or just use a magnetic float/sensor and slide it up or down according to how much you want to mix.
I thought about this one, as I could adapt my Tunze ato for that, but the problem is that i still would have to be able to reach the inside part as these magnets dont really slide all that well. I think most of the time I could likely get it to slide fine, but if it sticks or falls off, then I have to crawl inside the tank, which would be hard since the tank is almost 5ft tall

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about separate floats with a shut off valve for each? It would be accurate to where you install the floats and fairly cheap too. You could also use a solenoid like we use for calcium reactors but hook it up on a timer once you know how many gallons per hour it makes you can set it for the time you need it to run, this way will let you know when your pre filters start to clog as well from production slowing down.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
With the pressure switch the more i think about it you would prob have to have it on a stick or something to keep it stationary

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think you could do it with 3 or 4 float switches, a breakout box and some fancy apex programming. You could build a series of switches (like actual switches from RadioShack) and label them at the gallon increments you want. Install float switches at the corresponding locations in the tank. Set the apex programming so that when you want it to stop at X gallons, the float switches that would be submerged wouldn't do anything, but all switches above that mark would shut it off in case the desired one fails. Just be sure to mount the switches high up and out of reach of children! Maybe even hidden in a panel.
Did this make sense at all? I'm tired :p

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya, 3rd for multiple float switches, just plug in the one you want to use.

Or if it's not eurobraced so you can do straight up/down. Put a rigid plastic line on it on an eye hook and you rather than relying on magnet, can just pull up or push down on rod to move it as needed.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
High Plains Reefer;n653485 said:
is that tank euro braced? i cant remember
I guess you could call it eurobracing, since its a cube with 1 inch acrylic, its around the edges, with the lid in the middle anyway

projectx;n653488 said:
With the pressure switch the more i think about it you would prob have to have it on a stick or something to keep it stationary
Ya I was thinking about it more and would need some way to make that line more rigid so it wouldn't move and maintain some level of accuracy.

SkyShark;n653491 said:
I think you could do it with 3 or 4 float switches, a breakout box and some fancy apex programming. You could build a series of switches (like actual switches from RadioShack) and label them at the gallon increments you want. Install float switches at the corresponding locations in the tank. Set the apex programming so that when you want it to stop at X gallons, the float switches that would be submerged wouldn't do anything, but all switches above that mark would shut it off in case the desired one fails. Just be sure to mount the switches high up and out of reach of children! Maybe even hidden in a panel.
Did this make sense at all? I'm tired :p
Ya that makes sense and certainly seems like the safest way to maybe, since it would have fail safes in place and such. Might be the way to go, but a bit more complicated then I was really wanting to do.

Fitz19d;n653501 said:
Ya, 3rd for multiple float switches, just plug in the one you want to use.

Or if it's not eurobraced so you can do straight up/down. Put a rigid plastic line on it on an eye hook and you rather than relying on magnet, can just pull up or push down on rod to move it as needed.
That sounds about like what I was thinking, but couldn't find any references to get a good visual of how to make that work exactly. Happen to know of any? it is Euro'd but has some holes in the top that could be used for something like that.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dunno, I was envisioning if you have a premade float valve with a hanger/clip/whatever, drill thru or glue/epoxy on the rod, or add some kind of eye or hook to use with a rod with an end. This kind of thing I'd see being done with whatever scraps you have or some cheapo home depot materials.