Advice on parameters

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
So been have it some weird shiz go on w the cube over he last few mths and took a water sample to aqua medic this is what they found!A

07-12-2013 - Aquarium - N/A
Ammonia (NH3-4) High 0.23 0.000 - 0.050 mg/L
Nitrite (NO2) Good 0.045 0.000 - 0.100 mg/L
Phosphate (PO4) High 1.46 0.000 - 0.250 mg/L
Nitrate (NO3) Good 5.6 0.000 - 25.000 mg/L
Silica (Sio2-3) High 32.5 0.000 - 0.500 mg/L
Potassium (K) NA NA 350.000 - 450.000 mg/L
Ionic Calcium (Ca) NA NA 100.000 - 300.000 mg/L
Boron (B) NA NA 3.000 - 6.000 mg/L
Molybdenum (Mo) NA NA 0.000 - 0.120 mg/L
Strontium (Sr) NA NA 5.000 - 12.000 mg/L
Magnesium (Mg) NA NA 1100.000 - 1400.000 mg/L
Iodine (I) NA NA 0.030 - 0.090 mg/L
Copper (Cu) High 0.12 0.000 - 0.030 mg/L
Alkalinity (meq/L) Good 2.6 2.500 - 5.000 meq/L
Total Calcium (Ca) High 700 350.000 - 450.000 mg/L
Iron (Fe) NA NA 0.000 - 0.010 mg/L

So not sure how copper is in the system but it is and he high cal might be wrong cause there wasent enough water to test twice! Any advice here would be appreciated!!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would do a series of medium sized water changes with a good quality salt. That should get some of the highs down and the lows up.

How did you get the calcium so high and out of balance with the alk? You have a 2 part system get away? Any stonies that you keep will have a hard time with that.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya know I use salinety salt, and don't have a doseing system on that tank! So when I talked to chad at aqua medic he wasent sure if the cal was accurate, and here wasent enough water to test again!! I'm mixing water as we speak, just don't understand the copper in the system! Thanks

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Saltwater has copper in it. Most mixes do too since they are trying to mimic natural seawater. Save back a batch of fresh saltwater after you get it mixed up really good and see how it tests out.

If you don't dose, then there is not much way to get the calcium that high unless your PH is dropping so far that the aragonite is melting, which is not likely.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMHO, the Salinity may well be the problem. I've heard a lot of folks complain about weird stuff happening in their tank, and eventually they realize that the Salinity is very inconsistent. On top of that, I've heard rumors that they fired their chemist, and are reworking the mix. Don't know if that's true, but I used to use Salinity. It didn't take Mike long to switch me to Kent, and the issues I was having with my tank really leveled out. We're not chasing water chemistry anymore. We dose, but that's due to his addiction to sticks more than anything else.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Advice on parameters

I wonder where the ammonia is coming from? How old is the tank Charlie? Is the sand pretty old?

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Advice on parameters

CRW Reef;256537 said:
I wonder where the ammonia is coming from? How old is the tank Charlie? Is the sand pretty old?
That's what I was worried about as we'll seeing those results! I kinda want to run my water up there to test! How much does that cost, if you don't mind me asking?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Check your RO water if you already havnt.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Advice on parameters

Phosphates and silica being high can cause problems too. I am a big fan of water changes. I would personally do 20% once a week for the next couple of weeks. But thats just my opinion.

On a side note: I would almost like to do side by side comparisons of salts with that test. Pick like the 3 most used salts in our community. Using the same R.O. and have them test it. How much does it cost for the test?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;256537 said:
Well the ammonia proably can from the two sunburst that I found dead on the 7 of July!:( The tank is 15 mths and used new sand when set it up!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
The test is like 35 bucks if u take it up there more to mail!! Ya I'm at a loss for words!! Everything in the tank looks great clam brains sps. But after about 5 weeks the sunburst just **** away!!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have seen and heard a lot of stuff blamed on salt and I just don't know if much if it is true. ...bad salt crashed my tank, bad salt caused my calcium to hit 700, bad salt made my coral die, etc. I am sure that there is something to some of it, but for the most part, most major salts are pretty decent - aren't most of them made in the same factory with the same equipment and QC and stuff. If you are really worried about salt, then just use regular old Instant Ocean since I don't think that nearly anybody has had too much bad to say about it ever - it has always treated me well and the parameters are on the money every time. My favorite recipe was mixing Oceanic and Instant Ocean salt 50/50, but I cannot find anybody around here who sells the Oceanic salt. Tropic Marin is rock solid too, for me.

My TDS is like at 16. I will change membrane and filters at about 20. Don't sweat this. TDS won't get ammonia, so you have to test that separately.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Advice on parameters

Charlie, one thing I have experienced with salinity is that you need to use or within a few hours of mixing. The alk seems to fall out of the solution if you mix a bunch and use it over the course o a few weeks. I have has better success with it once I started using it this way. A do agree that "salt" isn't going to cause or cure anything. I do know that most salts have some issue or another and you need to be aware of them as you use them... No idea what's up with the nems... Good luck!

algaeman

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have ammonia in an established tank, you need more oxygen. Drop a fine bubbler in there for a couple days, or even pump it straight into a circulation pump.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;256567 said:
Charlie, one thing I have experienced with salinity is that you need to use or within a few hours of mixing. The alk seems to fall out of the solution if you mix a bunch and use it over the course o a few weeks. I have has better success with it once I started using it this way. A do agree that "salt" isn't going to cause or cure anything. I do know that most salts have some issue or another and you need to be aware of them as you use them... No idea what's up with the nems... Good luck!
I only mix for 24 hrs max before useing new salt!

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
algaeman;256579 said:
If you have ammonia in an established tank, you need more oxygen. Drop a fine bubbler in there for a couple days, or even pump it straight into a circulation pump.
Thanks I give it a shoot!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Common for false positives on Ammonia, if you didn't have die off recently maybe you should retest with another test. I would put a bag of Seachem cuprisorb in your sump, which should help eliminate the copper and other metals.

If you think the ammonia is correct, I would get some ammonia reducer in there quick, like prime