AI Prime 'Rainbow' shimmer

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I purchased an AI Prime but considering returning it before opening. I just started noticing in photos and Youtube videos using this light that it appears to have a very 'rainbow' effect on the tank that looks really un-natural. It seems like each individual LED color is showing up on the rocks and sand and they don't get blended together. If you use these lights, is this something that bothers you? Let me know if you have this setup and whether or not it works for you. I was going to be putting 4 of these a foot apart on a 5 foot tank but now worried it won't look good.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can't speak for the prime but I have no rainbow effect with the Hydra 26's or the 52's old style or the new hd's and I believe that the prime is just a single puck from one of these...

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the images I saw online were a bit overly saturated making the effect exaggerated. I set this up on my old tank and played around a bit to get the right look. I reduced the surface turbulence and lowered the red and green and looks great. I can see though that if I pumped up the red or green too high it would be a little bit of an issue (for me anyhow since this is all just personal preference). I'm use to looking at a simpler LED that just has two blue variations and white so it takes a little getting used to seeing all the various colors get split up on the rocks and sand.

It looks like AI has a booth setup at Reef Stock in a week so I'll get a chance to see more of these in person. I'm guessing the issue disappears as you get more sources of lights over same area so the Hydra 52 might be a better option for me.

Last edited by a moderator: