Aiptasia Question

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I know how to get rid of aiptasia chemically. Has anyone tried peppermint shrimp with any success in getting rid of them without destruction to the tank? I have a small 5g tank and have 1 giant aiptasia and I think 1 or 2 smaller guys.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lehner

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If that's all you have, squirt a lil kalk paste into their mouths with a syringe..

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya Kalk paste is the easiest way to kill them. Peppermints can work, but they can also be lazy ****s and do nothing, then they die.
Just mix some kalwasser with a bit of ro water to get a thick paste, then turn off all pumps on the tank. Apply the paste with a small syringe directly into the mouth of the apsatia. If you can apply over the top of it when it retracts too. Let it sit for about 30 min and then turn pumps back on. Be sure none of the kalk paste gets on corals or other critters as it will burn anything it lands on.

I got two peppermints from aquatic art this weekend and they have been munching on them. I only had a couple attached to a frag and they found them rather quickly.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shrimp are hit or miss. Some eat it and some don't. Just ask at the LFS if they can throw a rock with aptasia on it in with the shrimp to see if they eat it.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've always had great luck with peppermints as long as you are sure to get the right ones. They don't tend to go after very large aiptasia in my experience however so I'd say in this case Kalk paste.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree with the use of peppermint shrimp. Unfortunately, they are expensive snack for my wrasses... I have a lot popping up in my tank as they have taken over my overflow and I can't get to them. In your situation, if use Kalk paste as well

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;361269 said:
Ya Kalk paste is the easiest way to kill them.
+1 It's super easy and then you also have the Kalk powder for adding calcium if needed to your top off.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Aiptasia Question

+1

Luke.Fraizer

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
File seamonkeys did the trick for me! And he is just so freaking fun to watch! I would recommend it! I got some from macro and it worked its way into my dt so I stuck him in the sump and 2 days later it was gone. Pulled him out and in the dt and now the 2 tiny heads I saw are completely gone!

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Since my tank is so little and all my rock pieces are pretty small I ended up just pulling the one with the aiptasia on it. I don't see others around as of now. I have been thinking of adding a new invert to my tank (though I am sure I have enough) so I was contemplating peppermints but I will probably use Kalk in the future. Save the space for a pom pom or something.

lehner

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Luke.Fraizer;361530 said:
My wife thinks it's funny to change fish in my phone to seamonkeys.......
I was confused for a moment. Googled "file seamonkeys" in case I was missing the hot new fad in the hobby. Filefish makes a lot more sense.