Air exchanger questions

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
projectx;645232 said:
AC\Heater return vent down there?
I am not sure what you mean butt there are two 4 inch PVC pipes that run to the out side and directly to furnace and there is a metal piece of duct that is open in the basement and runs to outside

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Was thinking, you could get a thermostat that allows the fan to be turned on and run, independant of heat or AC. it will pull the air from the basement and the rest of the house would equalize the temp and the humidity through out

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
projectx;645302 said:
Was thinking, you could get a thermostat that allows the fan to be turned on and run, independant of heat or AC. it will pull the air from the basement and the rest of the house would equalize the temp and the humidity through out
This is a good point. I was also thinking of something like this. Can you fun the furnace in recirculating mode? I have my fan recirculating air on and off even if the heat or Ac isn't running. It doesn't run all the time... Just on and off. It your basement gets too damp or your roommate is cold they could turn the furnace fan to the on mode for a bit as well. An air exchanger seems like whacking a mosquito with a 5 lb hammer. See if something simple can happen first.

Sounds like what you have is 2 PVC pipes running from furnace to outside is the HE furnace vents and a open metal pipe running into the base from outside is replacement fresh air into the house neither have anything to do with heating duct work in the house.

The simplest and cheapst way to deal with humidity is to put in a bath fan connected to a humidistat by the the tank run the exhaust pipe (flexable dryer vent willl work) from fan out the side wall and use a wall mount dryer vent, all things you can get at a home depot.

The fresh air pipe already installed in the basement should allow you enough fresh air to keep from having a negative pressure in the house.