Alarm or Buzzer

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anyone tie in an alarm or some type of buzzer to their Apex for alerts?

Mine will message my phone, but I'm worried my phone my not be near me, or I won't wake up to the ding.

Looking for ideas!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Do you have the display? You can set audible alarms by changing the sound settings for the alerts...the sound comes from the display. Not sure if that'd be much better than the phone. The other option would be to just set something like an old style alarm clock to that obnoxious buzzer "test" mode and plug it to the Apex. Assign it a virtual outlet and tie it into one of the "if" statements you have for recognizing an emergency in the tank. If you want to get fancy I'm sure you could replace the alarm clock with an electric fire bell :p That should get your attention lol.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, the display is in my basement, not loud enough to wake me at night. Something wireless would be cool.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
you could do a wireless system with an arduino setup. In the Apex programming turn on the power port for the arduino when there is a power fault and the arduino sends the wifi signal to the wireless listening arduino that fires the buzzer. Probably would cost you about $40 to build. I will work on building one to test the theory. Ordering 2 arduino mini's now. I will post it up in DIY section when I start working on it.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;338628 said:
Could you wire in a buzzer to a breakout box?

Set on if any alarms off? Idk if it would work just a thought

Duh just read wireless... Well still I think theoretically possible just get a loud buzzer ;)

Unfortunately the breakout box is designed for sensors that complete a circuit. It is not designed to be able to run things. Its designed to send a signal to the apex when one of the circuits connect.

It would work for things like water detection, float switches, Light detectors, and other simple sensors.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;338630 said:
Unfortunately the breakout box is designed for sensors that complete a circuit. It is not designed to be able to run things. Its designed to send a signal to the apex when one of the circuits connect.

It would work for things like water detection, float switches, Light detectors, and other simple sensors.
Learn something new every day! Thanks for clarifying

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;338637 said:
If you have an open outlet you could plug in an alarm and a strobe light run the extension upstairs flashing lights and an alarm... Not pretty but would warn you ;)

This would work.

You could probably also do this with a VDM rail as well. The vdm rail runs at 0-10v and a current of 100mA I believe.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;338638 said:
This would work.

You could probably also do this with a VDM rail as well. The vdm rail runs at 0-10v and a current of 100mA I believe.
Bad idea. The VDM is not designed for load even if you keep it under 100mA. Thats a great way to fry the VDM and damage the power supplies in the Apex and energy bars.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;338627 said:
you could do a wireless system with an arduino setup. In the Apex programming turn on the power port for the arduino when there is a power fault and the arduino sends the wifi signal to the wireless listening arduino that fires the buzzer. Probably would cost you about $40 to build. I will work on building one to test the theory. Ordering 2 arduino mini's now. I will post it up in DIY section when I start working on it.
It doesnt need to be that complex. A 12V buzzer from radioshack and a 12V power supply would be plenty sufficient. If you want to take it up one notch, you could use something like this plugged into an EB8 outlet (would also need a 4" electrical box, a cord and some wire nuts)

https://www.elvessupply.com/System-..._350577.html?gclid=CMrZrOTykcMCFeIRMwodCgoAQQ

For either approach, in the EB8 outlet, all you need is the lines

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet SndAlm_I6 = ON Then ON

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I still say get a huge fire bell and just plug it in on an outlet in the basement. If you go on vacation and don't have web access to check the tank...the neighbors can probably still alert you to minor temp swings from the comfort of their own couch :p

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;338648 said:
I still say get a huge fire bell and just plug it in on an outlet in the basement. If you go on vacation and don't have web access to check the tank...the neighbors can probably still alert you to minor temp swings from the comfort of their own couch
Great minds think alike. Lol. Look at the post above you.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;338647 said:
It doesnt need to be that complex. A 12V buzzer from radioshack and a 12V power supply would be plenty sufficient. If you want to take it up one notch, you could use something like this plugged into an EB8 outlet (would also need a 4" electrical box, a cord and some wire nuts)

https://www.elvessupply.com/System-..._350577.html?gclid=CMrZrOTykcMCFeIRMwodCgoAQQ

For either approach, in the EB8 outlet, all you need is the lines

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet SndAlm_I6 = ON Then ON

The arduino would be the wireless approach. Yah if you want to go the L.A.F. route just get the big buzzer and plug it in your EB8. But if you're going that route, I prefer Khalis' idea.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;338648 said:
I still say get a huge fire bell and just plug it in on an outlet in the basement. If you go on vacation and don't have web access to check the tank...the neighbors can probably still alert you to minor temp swings from the comfort of their own couch
Can we add a strobe light or the red light that detectives put on top of their cars?? Just in case they can't hear the fire bell?

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It has been my idea to use optical relays on the vdm out, with a 24v output The optical relays completely isolate the output, protecting the apex. I have all the parts and should work in theory but havent had the time to assemble.

zombie;338644 said:
Bad idea. The VDM is not designed for load even if you keep it under 100mA. Thats a great way to fry the VDM and damage the power supplies in the Apex and energy bars.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Highway66;338684 said:
It has been my idea to use optical relays on the vdm out, with a 24v output The optical relays completely isolate the output, protecting the apex. I have all the parts and should work in theory but havent had the time to assemble.
Thay would most definately work. Russ has made several using that approach.