algae growth

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
i'm starting to get algae growth despite 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate readings. I am adding red sea parts a & b at 4 ml/day in 75 gal tank and sump. Lighting are 4 actinic blue 2 hrs am and 3 hrs pm, phoenix 250 watt 14k mh run 8 hrs when power compacts actinic shutdown. This the same lighting I have ran for months w/o algae problems. I also run gfo inmy sump. Any ideas?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like the algae is consuming your nitrates/phosphates.

How old are your bulbs? How much do you feed? Are you running a skimmer? Is the GFO just sitting in the tank, or is it in a reactor?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How old is the tank? Did you start with dry or dead rock?

The lighting WILL NOT be your issue. Old lights will not grow algae any different that other tlights... this is an urban legend for more reasons that I care to get into right now. Ignore this red herring and concentrate on the nutrients.

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Answers to your questions, bulbs are about 6 mos old, I do run a skimmer, gfo is in a reactor, tank is about 2 1/2 years old, rock came from my to in case when I moved here, I feed the 5 small fish once/day. Any thoughts on the red sea parts a &b adding to the problem?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Red sea is just calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. That wont add any nitrates or phosphates. What is your magnesium reading? If that is low, algae will take over regardless of skimming, amount you feed, macroalgae growth, etc.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would bring it up to 1600 until algae growth subsides. 1800 if you have bryopsis

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
zombie;344185 said:
Red sea is just calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. That wont add any nitrates or phosphates. What is your magnesium reading? If that is low, algae will take over regardless of skimming, amount you feed, macroalgae growth, etc.

No red makes a few a&b supplements, one is reef energy which is amino acids, fatty acid, carbs and vitamins. The other (and potentially more common) is red sea coral color a&b are a) halogens/iodine (I2, Br, and F2), b) Potassium and boron, but yes these shouldn't add any phosphates or nitrates, but curious as to why you are adding these, and are you testing for iodine and potassium?
Agree though that raising you mag up will help some with slowing the algea growth, but in my experience it wont eliminate it. It can certainly help but figuring out where the nutrients are coming from and cutting those down or adding fast growing macros to counter it will work a lot better.
Another option that can help control gha is to once a month do a 3 day no lights period. I do this as part of my regular monthly cycle and it can help to also slow the growth of hair algae

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
sethsolomon;345722 said:
I think its bunk too. But I do know Kent Tech M can help kill off algae.
Ya I tried this when my gha was out of control, and it did seem to help slow but didnt even begin to stop it by any means and I held mine well over 1600 for quite a while. The things that made the biggest impact in my gha problem was rinsing food well and gfo. Although eventually I replaced the gfo with fast growing macros. Once the macros took off I took out the gfo and the tank has never looked better as a result.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;345722 said:
I think its bunk too. But I do know Kent Tech M can help kill off algae.
Its the slowing that helps, but mag on its own wont solve the problem. When you increase mag, the algae is able to use less of the nitrates and phosphates in the water. This leaves more in the water column that can be removed by water changes or used by macroalgae that can be easily harvested. If there is a large nitrate/phosphate source that is not eliminated, raising mag will only slow the issue, but it most definately helps either way.

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've tried all the suggestions and still have the problem. Even though I have 0 phosphates I'm thinking that my problem is cyano and not algae. It is green in color but has a lot of air bubbles in it. Any thoughts on this and how do I control it. I just add a little bit of flake food for my fish and that's it until today I have not added any of the Red Sea A & B in about 10 days. My A & B are the amino acids and vitamins and "concentrated energy source".