Algae in main tank

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are some higher quality pictures. Its in a biocube 29 gallon. I weed it weekly and have even pulled every rock and scrubbed with a tooth brush. Bio loadis small. 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny who wont touch it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I may. Will he knock over all of my rock work? (Not a big deal) I have tried 2 sea hares. 1 ate it all then wouldnt touch it again then died. The second just circled the tank and died never touched it.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its frustrating. My clowns have stopped breeding because im constantly trying to remove it. I have been fighting it for 6 or 7 months. 4 weeks in a month. Week 1&3 get a 10gal change and 2&4 get a 5 gal change. Weeks 1&3 is when I weed the most. Im at the verge of leaving the hobby its so frustrating.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had one that went after my yumas. Took him off them, put him across the tank, and 5 min later he was right back on them again.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Algae in main tank

Dipping in peroxide for a couple of minutes will kill the bryopsis but it won't cure it. Cut back in feeding, raise mag with tech M slowly until 1800ppm (no more than 150-200ppm/day) and turn off your lights for a couple of days. I battled with bryopsis and haven't seen any a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get an emerald crab, it might take him a little while to get through all of that but if you pull it out he will keep it at bay. For $5 an emerald crab is the best bang for your buck and ate you sure they were eating your coral and not cleaning up algae that was on our around it? I have never had an issue with an emerald crabs other than the fact that I couldn't grow hair algae like I used to.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dipped with peroxide and all that did was kill my corals...bryopsis kept coming back. I eventually tossed or gave away the frags that came in with that stuff.

I did a lot of reading and the people who won the battle all said raising with tech m was what finally won it for them.

ailachami;288063 said:
Dipping in peroxide for a couple of minutes will kill the bryopsis but it won't cure it. Cut back in feeding, raise mag with tech M slowly until 1800ppm (no more than 150-200ppm/day) and turn off your lights for a couple of days. I battled with bryopsis and haven't seen any a while.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought a gallon bottle of tech m from amazon. Dosed over 4-5 days and lights out for two days after I reached 1800ppm. After that the bryopsis thinned out and did a large water change. Haven't seen it come back.

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
How long do you keep the mag that high? Will it have any adverse effects when the mag drops rapidly with the large water change?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vance

Angel Fish
When I did it years back. I held off on a water change until it started dying. Only thing it irritated I'm my tank was a green toadstool but it just shed its mucus layer a couple days after the water change and that was it. Well other than an explosion of coralline the next month or so .

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Maybe I missed this but are you using R/O water .? I had this problem in my nanocube , I cleaned as much as I could, did water changes and bought a coral beauty next thing you know the coral beauty was eating all he could, it kept growing on the sand so I added a sand sifting goby and haven't had an issue since then

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't know if this would work or not, but you get a cool looking specimen even if it doesn't, but the removal of DO from the water column, specifically nitrates and phosphates, could be achieved by buying a clam (or two) and seeing how well the zooxanthellae pull the Po4 and No3 from the water over a period of time. All you really need is sufficient lighting and the clam takes care of the rest.

Read this article and see if this is up your alley! Check it out!

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
elmotheodd;290378 said:
Maybe I missed this but are you using R/O water .? I had this problem in my nanocube , I cleaned as much as I could, did water changes and bought a coral beauty next thing you know the coral beauty was eating all he could, it kept growing on the sand so I added a sand sifting goby and haven't had an issue since then

Yep using RO.

UPDATE. 90% of the bryopsis died. Finally did a water change on it. It is starting to come back but not as bad. I will wait a few weeks and start again. All of my sps suffered horribly. I may have saved one birds nest frag but it's still hanging on. On a bright note, all of the lps and softies look amazing. All huge sized!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Holy purple rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow how the heck did that happen in all the madness, higher Mag you think? BTW what did you use Tech M or something else?