Algae problem

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey guys, got an algae problem. I have a ton of bubbles, green slime and a bit of hair algae.

I'll get my parameters tonight before I redo my rock scape.

I do have some extra sand, should I just scoop some of this out and replace it?

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Did you already turn off the red leds?? If so wjhen I had algea issues it was red/ cyano and I cured it with about 2-3000 gph of flow and snails.. so maybe you need more flow. Oh I wanna see before and after pictures of the tank

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldnt scoop the sand out...looks like green cyno and it will just come back. If your dosing a carbon source then cut back for a few days.

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
That or it could be dinos...dosing a 1 ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons of tank water each day will help get rid of it. Just hard to tell from the pics...if more of it starts to grow in stringy chains like hair algea, but with the bubbles then its most likely dinos.

I had that stuff all over my rocks. I tried everything. I finally took each rock out and scrubbed it with a MR Clean scrub brush and clean salt water. It ****ed off all my corals, they just closed up for a while. I then cleaned the sand really well, and did a 50% water change. I used Thrive's phosphate remover, for about 1month. My rock and tank are so much happier now. Have not had a problem with the algae since. And its been about 2 months ago.

In the end, the bottom of the bucket was about 6-8" of nasty stinky algae and what ever else.