Algae

Hey guys so I have a question. I keep getting algae growth in my tank. It grows on some on my rocks and on my glass. It seems to be growing on some of my corals as well. It's a green algae. Just makes my dt look horrible. is there any input or thoughts on what might be the problem. I have been using just tap water so I don't know if that could possibly be a problem. I really have no where to get ro water and trying to buy a ro system right now is kinda to much for me (unless I am able to find a decent priced one). Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its definitely the RO water. The algae is taking in the nutrients from the tap water. That Chaeto in your fuge will also help. Mainly RO, good lighting schedule and manual removal is your best bet.

OK cool. Is there anywhere that I can actually get ro water. Like I said being here in cheyenne I haven't been able to find a place to get any

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Buy a couple 5 gallon jugs from down here and fill them up when you come down. In the future you will need a unit though.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Great White sells it for 75 cents a gallon. You can also talk to some members, my neighbor has talked about selling me the extra stuff from his batch.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah those will work if you can find a way to get them into the store so they can fill it up and then get it back out without dumping it all over the pavement. If you really want to deal with 50 gallon totes it would be worth it to just get a unit, because after two of those are filled up thats a lot of money. Its more practical in a small tank because a 5 gallon will last me a week and a half, and i live 5 minutes from the store.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just keep searching they will pop up just be patient :) I waited a month for a deal on my kessil and the day after i bought it a guy posted one on here for 50 bucks cheaper than i bought it for.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Im not familiar with details on the systems. That would be a good question for Seth or other members that have one. A six stage might be a little over kill, but i really have no clue what im talking about lol.

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have to go though. My parents want me to do homework. According to them grades are more important than my tanks lol.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
tds monitors are good for knowing when the ro filters are needing to be replaced, but the meter is pretty cheap and you can get one on brs or other supply store places. If its a working 6 stage then I would get it if you can, using tap water will just continue to build up nutrients in the tank and rocks and the longer you wait the longer it will take to fight back the algae

quillin35

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
A tds meter is fairly cheap. 20 bucks or so and u can get a in line for 30 on amazon. The in line is a better choice imo cause u can test either one instantly. A 6 stage is fine whatever u can afford..The only that gets expensive for it is filters.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
yep, just get one when you can. If its a used ro unit I would plan on replacing all the filter right off the bat though unless the seller says they are brand new, be sure to ask. Generally though the carbon block and sediment filter needed to be replaced once every 6 months, although dependent on how much water you use, the resin filter needs to be replaced once a year and the membrane generally will last about 2 years or so.