Alk problem

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so Appearently my co2 that I just had filled for my reactor is all gone. Only think I can think of was it a was not screwed on tight enough or Teflon tape was not up to par. I am sitting at 8.4 or 150 ppm. The refill place doesn't open till 10 so do I just add teaspoon of baking soda and test wait couple hours repeat. Or is that just way to much at one time. Of coarse since I put the reactor online I do not have any two part on hand.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dont forget that you cannot raise alk by more than 1.5dKH per day or 0.5dKH in a single dose to prevent damage to delicate corals. Also keep an eye out for calcium levels as the change in alk may cause some calcium precipitation. I would also suggest using a sodium bicarbonate additive rather than soda ash to limit the change in pH during each dose.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea, I'd personally check around all the parts that are running after the regulator...solenoid, bubble counter, needle valve (if you have them). Sometimes those brass fittings can easily end up with damaged threads when you do the initial setup; unless your regulator has a bad diaphragm, it's unlikely that's the culprit for the leak. Those parts should have teflon on them...but I haven't used it between the regulator and canister before...there should be an O-ring there making the seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;299832 said:
You should not be using Teflon on your CO2 canister. They are built to seal themselves.
+1. Teflon is only for liquid seals and can easily burst on gas seals, which could damage your flange connectors or regulator when it bursts.

If your canister is leaking, you can place the canister and regulator in water to pinpoint the location of the leak (just make sure the regulator is bone dry before plugging it in if its electronic). If you find a leak between the regulatir and the tank (most likely place), than your gasket in the regulator needs to be replaced. There is also a lesser chance that your flange connectors may have cracked, which would merit replacement of the cylinder or the regulator.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
you need to just let Tessie be in charge of your tanks all the time. They run like clockwork when she is. Just sayin'!

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another awesome way to check for leaks is to use a lighter. I know it sounds strange, but CO2 will put out the flame if there is a leak.

The other reason not to use Teflon is it breaks down to dust with CO2 and it can easily clog your regulator. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a fine white powder inside the regulator.

I have had this happen to me 2 or 3 times. I fill up the canister, hook it up, and the next day its empty. I usually attribute it to my slacking and not putting the washers in right or not tightening everything up enough.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk problem

If you really want to use a tread sealant, check the msds sheets to make sure co2 doesn't break down the sealant. Not sure if you have looked into it but they sell sealants specifically for gases. Also, don't over tighten brass, the fittings can expand if you get them on there too tight. It's actually pretty easy to do, I've done it a few times.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nylon gasket. You will be fine until tomorrow without alk. The threads don't matter when the male brass thingy butts up against the bottle, not the threads.

Also, how big is your cylinder and how many bubbles per minute were you using? I can go about a year on a 10lb canister with about 15 bubbles per minute, or so... if you want to reference. You might not have a leak. Small bottles and lots of bubbles don't last too long.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks everyone for the responses honestly the Teflon was already on there so had just reapplied. I have checked with soapy water all day over and over can't find a leak only thing I can honestly think of was the but was not tight enough. It's a 5 pound cylinder and was just filled 3 or 4 days ago so had to have a leak somewhere. I will monitor it closely. I run about 45 bubbles a min continuous but even at that rate I wouldn't go threw that much that fast.