anemone for a 14 gallon biocube?

I was wondering if anyone had some insight as to what of an anemone would be good for a 14 gallon nano cube. Something that is not poisonous to my tank if it were to die, or wont outgrow and overwhelm my tank for a while. I want one to try and get my clowns to host in, but not sure if i should just stick with coral or what. Any info is appreciated thanks.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ClownGuy;330169 said:
Something that is not poisonous to my tank if it were to die, or wont outgrow and overwhelm my tank for a while

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but I believe 90% of all anemones will nuke a 14g if they die unnoticed. That being said, if you just do a major water change after they die and you remove the remaining nem bits your tank will be fine.

As for size, the only nem that I can think of that stays fairly small and will host clowns would be a mini carpet anemone.

See if they will host a Frogpawn/torch or Duncans (LPS Corals that are relativity cheep). Nems will outgrow the 14 fast, they did on my 34 gallon. And all nems release chemical signals/toxins and are very toxic when they die, at least RBTAS. Once I took out my big nems my tank went much better. I do have a tiny RTBA and its stayed tiny for a year but its splits get big quick, not sure why other than I will it every night to stay small. Plus I do a lot of extra work to keep him, like extra water changes, carbon and heavy skimming. If your tank is not over 1 year old with a good 6 months of keeping everything alive, I wouldn't even try a nem, just from personal experience.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ghxst;330181 said:
See if they will host a Frogpawn/torch or Duncans (LPS Corals that are relativity cheep). Nems will outgrow the 14 fast, they did on my 34 gallon. And all nems release chemical signals/toxins and are very toxic when they die, at least RBTAS. Once I took out my big nems my tank went much better. I do have a tiny RTBA and its stayed tiny for a year but its splits get big quick, not sure why other than I will it every night to stay small. Plus I do a lot of extra work to keep him, like extra water changes, carbon and heavy skimming. If your tank is not over 1 year old with a good 6 months of keeping everything alive, I wouldn't even try a nem, just from personal experience.
+1

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;330181 said:
See if they will host a Frogpawn/torch or Duncans (LPS Corals that are relativity cheep). I do have a tiny RTBA and its stayed tiny for a year but its splits get big quick, not sure why other than I will it every night to stay small.
I had the the same thing going on with the rainbow in my 90, the splits would grow like crazy, but the original stayed small for the longest time (thinking 3 years in the same spot). That is until 2 weeks ago, its now doubled in size, and decided to take a walk between my green slimer, and purple stag :(

Seems like a pattern with nems, you think they are good then they grow, split or get sucked in a powerhead :( WHY do nems always go to the SPS!!!