anemone will not stay put

i just got an anemone long technical that will not a hear to any thing in the tank in this case i would like some advice on what to do
with this i would like to keep it but it just lays on its side and lets the water move it around i checked my wp and everything checks out good
if you can help i would be indebted to you thanks

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

I held a few down with my hand sometimes up to 5 min but they would eventually take.

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Yea turn down flow for a while do it can find a home. Then hold it, if that doesn't work I guess you go with punching lit lol

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Punching it will not work, tried that.

Youll want to slow flow, nems are pretty picky at first IME, but he will find a sweet spot.

Also, where did you get it? How was it housed? Was it attached to a rock or anything when you bought it? Im wondering if its foot is damaged which could be very possible if it was attached to something and removed when you got it. If its foot is damaged I would give him a good iodine dip and place him in some type of breeder net or acclimation box until he can heal up.

i got it from my lfs who has been trying to help me with this and has even offered to take it back if it does not take a foot so i will be slowing down my water flow
and we will see let you guys know later thanks for the help

well guys my nem has moved some where in my tank i just got home and he or she is not where it was when i left for work
so i will spend the afternoon looking for him and hope it is fine thought i would give you an update

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: anemone will not stay put

I thought long tenticle anemones liked to bury their foot in the sand? Is this correct?

yes it is but my water flow was to fast for him i slowed down the flow for a few days and he moved somewhere in my tank
i am hoping he has took afoot in the sand behind my rocks where my clowns sleep

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

Make sure he didn't end up in the overflow or sliced up by a powerhead. Nems will move to a spot they like. They're kinda like cats, you can tell them to sit and stay all day long, but ultimately they are going to do whatever they please.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
WatercolorsGuy;230631 said:
I thought long tenticle anemones liked to bury their foot in the sand? Is this correct?
Mine is in a rock. Generally they like a rock with a nice hole in it (or a crack/crevice) that they can retreat into if they feel threatened. At least that's what I read somewhere, and the nems that I've had seem to have followed that logic.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

CindyL;230845 said:
Mine is in a rock. Generally they like a rock with a nice hole in it (or a crack/crevice) that they can retreat into if they feel threatened. At least that's what I read somewhere, and the nems that I've had seem to have followed that logic.
Ok. Any LTA I've had has preffered being in the sand at the base of my rocks, same for my carpets. My BTA's do love the rocks and crevices though.

How is it doing now?

i have found him he has moved to the back of the tank and has dug in he likes it there so i will leave him there for know he may still move to the front
i hope so if that will be fine i think he is getting cozy with my clowns that is cool thanks for the help from everyone

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
coralman;230993 said:
i have found him he has moved to the back of the tank and has dug in he likes it there so i will leave him there for know he may still move to the front
i hope so if that will be fine i think he is getting cozy with my clowns that is cool thanks for the help from everyone
awesome. Happy nem = happy tank.