Anemone

Ok so i have a 29g biocube. I have some zoas and a pipe organ in there right now. I really want an anenome for my clowns. But can someone give me some advice on anenomes? Like what is the secret to keeping an anenome in one spot? I really want a successful reef tank with lots of corals but i don't want my anenome killing the corals. What should i do?

Alexforchange

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had the same question not long ago! Get a bubble tip (or at least imo they are cool for the biocube cuz they stay on rock) but you cant tell em where to go. Trust me I tried with my rbta and ive heard so many other people have. Put him in there and he'll go where its comphy. If you move you rock around after he goes somewhere you dont like then he is likely to chose a different spot..or thats been my experience. Then, adjust your corals to the spot the nem picks

Alexforchange

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I put mine in, the next day he was somewhere across the tank. I moved rocks around and put him in a different place I wanted him, the next day he was in a different spot. He has stayed in that same spot since then.

Alexforchange

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
mmm month-ish. imo, if you like anemones...get one. i love mine and havent had any problems with corals. if he, for whatever reason, moves and becomes a hazard to another coral just move that coral. i think they are worth it

hoodrat

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Put the anemone in there first and let him find the spot he wants before you add anything else once he stays in his one spot then you might be able to get away with putting corals close. But inevitably things are gonna get stung

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anemones have a mind of their own. They will move where THEY want to move. You could try putting it on a rock that is isolated by sand to see if he stays on the rock but that may not work either. I've had several bubble tips and ALL of them have moved in the tank, some more than others. I've also had a Sebae anemone for years that hasn't moved an inch since I put him in the tank. Luck of the draw. If you choose a spot with good lighting and not too much flow, there is a higher likelyhood that he may stay.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Watch out for them power heads too!!! they will puree a nem into toxic mush, and crash a nano.

Anemone Goo

So, to piggy back onto what Wicked said... I had this beautiful LTA in my bow - it was walking all over the tank but had settled down in one area for about a week. At the time I was running 2 K3 with filter socks over them so they wouldn't suck up the anemone. Well..... it had settled down and I was tired of cleaning those filter socks (Mistake 1), so I removed them... (This is now Mistake 2)... The next morning I awoke and my entire tank was this wonderful cloudy color... as you guessed it, I couldn't find the anemone. You would really be suprised on how much a Koralia 3 can decimate a LTA. It was turned inside out, wrapped around the shaft of the pump. Last time I ever removed those filter socks. So, the lesson is, cover your PH's!!! - Nathan

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hoodrat;43291 said:
Put the anemone in there first and let him find the spot he wants before you add anything else once he stays in his one spot then you might be able to get away with putting corals close. But inevitably things are gonna get stung
Agreed, I put a small one in to my very established 46g and it made a beautiful "death path" across my entire tank. I could not move a single coral as all were permanent from years of growth; then, only days of death. It did eventually find its spot and never moved from there.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
wicked demon;43336 said:
Watch out for them power heads too!!! they will puree a nem into toxic mush, and crash a nano.
+2 My powerhead did all the fragging for me. lol I ended up with 4 nems from one and a massive ammonia spike from all the dying tentacles lying around.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not meaning to scare you away from BTA but with this info, you can save a lot of life in your tank. I highly suggest getting one!