Another 60 cube

Andreaehlrs

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I know there are a few 60 cube builds on here. How is mine going to be different? It's going to be a nps and seahorse tank.
Tank: Planet Aquarium rimless 60 cube
Filtration: Fluid designers' sump, Eshopps s-200 cone skimmer, two little fishies phosban reactor
Other Equipment: 2 mp10's, Avanti refrigerator, marine magic dosing pump
Food: reef nutrition oyster feast, DT's phytoplankton, Fauna marin ultra min f, Fauna marin ultra min d, Fauna marin ultra seafan
View attachment 21017 View attachment 21018
Stand my mom built; we stained it black.
View attachment 21019
Rocks I put together with cement. They broke apart when I put it in the tank so now most of it is just stacked.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You're going to need to beef that stand up more for a 60 g cube. IMO that does not look like it will hold 500 lbs of water.

But looking forward to seeing an NPS tank pop up. Be careful to watch your nitrates and ammonia with all the food you will need to dose.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Seahorse and NPS = awesome. Following along

Andreaehlrs

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 21024
Here are some of the animals that were in my tank. Unfortunately the flame scallop and dendro died. My water reached 90 degrees and then dropped down to 54 when I took the heater out. I didnt realize the heater I was using had a recall. It was the stealth pro heater if anyone else is using it.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Take the heater to pet co they will give a credit for it! Also need to get a controller on there to prevent any further possible issues. Look forward to seeing a full tank shot when u restock it.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm looking forward to the progress. I would like to have a non-photosynthetic tank in the future. I assume that's the NPS being referred to here? I may be wrong, but I thought those tanks did better with high flow? Seahorses prefer calmer waters if I remember right. Are those two requirements going to conflict? Thanks everyone for the education. Keep up the good work.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;329335 said:
I'm looking forward to the progress. I would like to have a non-photosynthetic tank in the future. I assume that's the NPS being referred to here? I may be wrong, but I thought those tanks did better with high flow? Seahorses prefer calmer waters if I remember right. Are those two requirements going to conflict? Thanks everyone for the education. Keep up the good work.

There is a new piece of tech that can solve this problem. The maxspect gyre would be perfect for this as it pushes most of the flow on the outsides of the tanks leaving the center lower flow than the outsides. This acts as a resting place for the sea horses.

Personally I think the maxspect gyre is not suitable for reefs as the cost is too much for the flow rate and does not provide a random flow. But as the case is you want a lower flow center this would be perfect.

Andreaehlrs

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah I don't know what I am going to do about the seahorses yet. I think the flow will be fine but not the pumps. I've always had problems with them getting sucked into the pumps. So no seahorses for awhile. I hate fish since they die and get diseases and are difficult. So I'll just focus on coral for now