Another frag tank build

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Charlie,

I'm not really sure what I want to keep in it yet. I might start it with just SPS to eventually move to my 200 but I kind of want to use it for anemones.

I really wish the tank was deeper. Its a little shallow for what I would choose now if I had it to do over.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Live rock/rubble rack is done.

Just used 5 1.5" PVC legs and regular ol egg crate. The idea here is that water will pass through the rock/rubble without trapping any detritus. Ill have 1 or two small powerheads underneath the eggcrate to keep any detritus that falls through in suspension so in theory it should all get flushed into the skimmer chamber.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So time for another update. I've got some corals I need to start moving around before too long. I'm trying pretty hard to get thing thing done and fired up.

I got the drip liner all made up. Fits real nice. I had a little better technique this time after having made the first one for my 60 cube.

I had one of those multicolored led strip kits sitting around for like over a year. I finally decided to put it to use as an under the tank light so I can see what im doing when working on things. Its a bit over the top and obviously the colors offer nothing more than the geek factor but hey its kinda cool I guess. The sump is done and ready to go just have a little bit of plumbing and I can fire it up to start cycling. I have a lot of live Fiji tukani rubble from my botched live rock order that I will use as my bio filter but I need to wait for it to finish curing.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I decided the light system I had rigged wasn't at all what I was going to be happy with so I started making a new one. I've been pretty bad about taking pictures. Its actually come allot further from what I have pictured so ill have to get some more. Its going to be a bit hard to tell whats going on from these pics until I post up some current ones but essentially its going to be two SE 250w Radiums and t5 but haven't fully decided on the bulb selection yet. The t5s will be mounted on rails on the outside of the MH reflectors with a slight angle in towards the center of the tank.

A little bit of angle iron from HD.

Made the angle brackets that the t5 rails will mount to. The entire fixture will also hang from these 4 brackets.

Some the pieces starting to come together. The center wood piece will hold the t5 ballasts in between the MH refelctors.

If you looks closely here you can see the angle on the brackets that will tilt the t5 reflectors inward from both the front and back. I think this will minimize light spillage from the t5s being so far to the out side. I guess we will see. :)

After my last powder coating fiasco I decided to just go with a high gloss appliance paint.

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
SkyShark;347429 said:
Nice. Do you have the lights rigged to go on automatically when the cabinet is opened?

Love this feature, I put micro switches on my cabinet doors to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got the frag tank up and going over the last few weeks. Still need to lower the lights a bit Im starting high until I get my par meter back.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good! I was wondering how you like your vertex 130 skimmer? I read some mixed reviews where some folks said it was really hard to get tuned correctly and suggesting that the pump is over powered for the skimmer.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
neil82;n649326 said:
Looks good! I was wondering how you like your vertex 130 skimmer? I read some mixed reviews where some folks said it was really hard to get tuned correctly and suggesting that the pump is over powered for the skimmer.
Jury is still out on the skimmer. I don't have enough bio load yet to get any kind of consistency out of it.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't speak for the Alpha 130 but I have the Alpha 170, 200 and 250 and they are all first rate skimmers that I would recommend to anyone. They pull an amazing amount DOC's and are extremely quiet to the point I can't hear them running. Setup looks good Walter!