Another Tank Build - 30B Montipora Build

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully there's not a limit to tank build threads on here - this is at least my 6th now. Wife okayed a sps only tank build for our basement living room, I am going to be doing a 30 Breeder build this time around instead because I liked my 60 frag that had slightly similar dimensions and there are few 30B tank builds out there so it'll be a little more challenging than my other builds were.
The tank itself I got for free from a local reefer in town and is in "ok" condition, the trim is rough on it but the glass is minimally scratched and the silicone is good - I leak tested it yesterday and it was good to go. The tank came with a 1" hole drilled in the center on one side.
I already have a new 1" baffle to put on it, 3" flare nozzle for the return, and a rio 2100 that I bought new.
I'm going to be using a metal halide fixture and ballast that I picked up 2 years ago from Allyson at MBC with a 400w XM 10K bulb. I know this is overkill but I loved the growth I got with this setup over my 60 frag tank last year and the profile of the 30B is similar just not as long/wide and I'm hoping for similar results this time around.
I have a 40B that's already setup from my 60 Frag build that I'll be using for this, there is a large refugium section, return, and I'll be using a newish ASM G3 Skimmer I picked up from Charlie in Greeley a few months ago.
I'm going adding 2 yellow tail damsels as I've heard and read from others that they are omnivorous and will eat algae as well as critters, I'll be adding sand to this build and getting a yellow choris wrasse with the possibility of a tomini tang down the road.
So far my sps corals that I have in my 30L are doing ok but I'm starting to see some signs of polyps receding as well as stunted growth so I'm hoping to have this tank setup by next week and running. The live rock I've already got cycling and I'll be using bactiv8 once it's setup to help the mini cycle (I've used this before and had great results when setting up tanks). I'm going to be using a large piece of pukani that I have kept from other builds as well as a few smaller pieces of pukani to round out the tank.
That's all for now... :)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Had a good planning session with anther reefer and we decided that the 30B would make a great refuge and that it would be cool to try to put that in the stand stacking three tanks together.
New plan is to use a 40B I have as a display tank drilled w 2 1" holes for drains, put the 30B under this w 2 1" holes drilled for drains as my refugium for macro algae and extra live rock, a 40B under this to be my sumo for heater, probes, and my skimmer. I've been working on a tank design that would facilitate all this and still hold the weight and think I've gotten close to what it would look like.

Too shows the 40B which will sit in a 2x4 frame 3" tall directly under the tank. This will have a second 2x4 frame built around it to attach to the 2x4 the tank sits on as well as the uprights. The 30B will sit on a second 2x4 frame that's identical to the 40B footprint and will be nailed into the uprights. The bottom 40B will sit directly on a 3/4" plywood bottom with a 2x4 frame around it with the uprights attached to it. The sides will be built so that the tanks can slide in without having to tank the stand apart. There will be 12" of clearance between the Sump top and the refugium and 9" clearance between the refugium top and the display tank. The 2x4 frames will take up 3" of the clearance but my refuge light and the skimmer won't be affected by that.
If I make it right the display tank will sit at 48" tall with the tank top being right at 66". So tall stand but eye level when looking at the tank.

Thoughts?

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.