any one tryed Hawaiian red shrimp, (Halocaridina rubra) ?

scotty b

Butterfly Fish
has any one here tryed Hawaiian red shrimp in a saltwater set up?
from what I have red they can be in full saltwater or dropped down to low end brackish

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
havent tried them in a full salt tank, but used to keep many of them in my discus tanks, which i used to use small amounts of sea salt in for breeding discus

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I loved them in my fresh tank, fun to watch and goo at what they do. They also would spawn fairly frequently
CuC in a seahorse tank.. Havent kept a seahorse tank..yet, but from what I have read snails are the best for that. Many crabs and shrimps can add a bit of competition for food and with seahorses that can be a bad thing since they are such slow movers. Others who have kept seahorse could weigh in on that one and provide a bit more insight.
There are quite a few posts up on the forum though of others who kept or were thinking of keeping seahorses.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;321022 said:
Many crabs and shrimps can add a bit of competition for food and with seahorses that can be a bad thing since they are such slow movers.

I would get trochus snails, a small tuxedo urchin, and maybe a small fromia starfish.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unless the current captive bred ones are different, the ones from 15-20 years ago struggled at full saltwater full time.

GiraffeCat

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
scotty b;321000 said:
has any one here tryed Hawaiian red shrimp .....
Only with a bit of garlic butter.....:witless:

Sorry, I had to.

GC

TravelinGal

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
scotty b;321611 said:
any idea om where to get fromia starfish local ?
I've seen them at Aquamart - in the small tanks closer to the front of the store. Usually in the last tank closest to the wall next to where the bag up the fish and corals.