Any Short Tentacle Plate keepers around?

As the title suggest I am looking to chat with any short tentacle plate keepers that have successfully kept them. I have 4, and 3 look the same species and are doing fantastic. These ones are about an inch thick. The other one that I am concerned with is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and is the sand cruising one. It is constantly inflating and has traveled around my tank floor getting caught in the rock work and beating itself up along the way. It eats like a pig if food is put close enough and its color is good but appears to have torn part of his bottom edge riding the waves last night. I'll know the damage when the lights kick on in an hour. Will this heal and what can I do to help it heal, what can I do to make this guy happy, and lessons, schooling, advice on short tentacle plates is much appreciated. Also since getting him I noticed that my snails think he is a motel and like to bury under him, if this is any help or not I dunno!

Lights are on, hes still on the move and seems to be in good condition. It does have 2 spines outta the 100 or so exposed but they are not next to each other. There is also no slime or other material on the wounds just a hunk of inflated skin above it. I read that they tear a lot due to inflation and bumping into rocks. Bob Fenner says in WWM that they heal easily so Neptune and Poseidon give me some good vibes this way! It is really lame (*********** stupid) that these are marked as easy to care for, I have 70-80 corals all with different reqs and skill needed that do great in my tank, my idea of easy to care for doesn't include a roving coral with a deadly sting and eject-able media to suffocate other corals that requires feedings once a week. Or one that can skip the roving part and just inflate and catch a current to go frak up other corals. Ugh..

Anyway Ill open this up to anyone that has had a plate coral surviving or not, what happened, what can we learn and what seemed to work best, the hobby info out there does not agree one bit with each other and im thinking due to many species we monkeys all group up as one cause of a similar shape. Rant over..for now

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have one and i'm no expert by any means but I hardly ever give mine a big chunk of food or even mysis at that. I used to but then i heard its not good for them because some times they will regurgitate it or Clean up crew tears at its flesh trying to get it. I feed mine mainly whatever it grabs in the water (I supplement with ReefKeef). Mines a green one about 4-5 inches in diameter and an inch thick, its been in my tank about a year and is a monster! I recommend putting him in a safe location and letting him heal up if possible.

Thanks for the input. I feed all 4 of mine a small squirt of Mysis or a soft pellet might fall in and I do see growth, the one I got from charlie a couple months back is almost double its size. But that one and the other 2 are the thicker ones that seem really hardy. The one in question is almost the same dimensions as a cup coaster, its still alive and ticking and for now in the back part of my tank with lower lighting and flow.

I think I am screwed as far as it being a good fit for my tank. And I see why no one else has posted, there isn't usually a happy ending or long term survival with them. This species, from what I have read and seen myself should be hosted in a sand only tank with same species only. They require a specific type of landscape and are known "floaters" which is detrimental to 94% (quote from RC science guy) of all other coral species that come in contact with them or themselves if any rock is present. There is so much we don't know about certain coral species and I personally do not think they should be sold even if they are aqua-cultured. On the other hand I have to aplaude guys like Charlie that can grow babies of plate corals that do well in tanks, at least I will have his for a long long time and can see that it does great.