Anyone cut the cable/satellite cord?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I bought the "Mohu Leaf" antenna for about $40 on Amazon and it works really well for Broncos games and the few times a year I watch live TV. Otherwise, I use 2 Roku units (One on family room TV and one on workout area TV) and get Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon which I think is free with Prime to begin with. We also frequent Redbox. I still use CenturyLink for internet, and MagicJack for home phone. I think there are a lot of added comforts in there, like I probably don't need Amazon and Netflix....and like Jahmic said I could probably do with 6 months of Hulu because after the current shows are on summer hiatus I don't really find much to watch. Anyway, long story short....we cut the cord about 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. An added side bonus is our kids watch less TV now than before, they actually open those paper things filled with all of the words!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hadn't heard about Roku before...I feel left out! How's the selection outside of what they make available through netflix? Do you get a decent amount of free channels? Or is it mostly subscription based?

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Our 55" living room tv is also my girlfriends computer monitor right now. We use amazon prime, animehere.com, and then most networks actually put their TV episodes online on their website for free sometime between the next day and a week after air. For sports channels and payperview items there is usually someone streaming them on something like justin.tv You could google search "live streaming" to find hundreds of places just like it. As the commercials say "ditch the dish" lol.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;346219 said:
I hadn't heard about Roku before...I feel left out! How's the selection outside of what they make available through netflix? Do you get a decent amount of free channels? Or is it mostly subscription based?
We compared it (virtually, not in reality) to Chrome, and Roku won on paper and in the reviews, even though Chrome gets more press. There seem to be a decent amount of free channels, it's fairly easy to navigate, etc. We haven't watched a whole lot of stuff, however, because 3rd world countries don't have great internet, and that causes it to glitch a lot. Strangely, netflix doesn't glitch hardly at all. But I don't know enough about the technical side of things to know why one works so much better than the other. We are living very differently here than we did up there, a part of which is just less TV overall. I cancelled my Prime membership completely, because we don't have an address for any sort of online ordering, and that's what I used the most. It might be worth reviewing, if they have a huge selection of stuff available to watch, and we get tired of Netflix.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
On my Roku I have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Pandora, Youtube, Angry Birds, You Don't know Jack, CBS sports, Vevo, A&E channel, The Watch ESPN app (doesn't work), Crackle. There are 100's of channels, all of varied usefulness. There is a lot of crappy channels too, but you only install what you'll use. The games use the Roku remote like a Wii controller, but I don't have any of the paid for games except Angry Birds. I can't remember what they cost new, under $100 for sure. And the Roku itself is free of monthly charges, it's the apps like Hulu etc. that you pay for.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm totally thinking about jumping in the bandwagon with the antenna and then Netflix or the like. I am way up in Greeley though. Do you think the antenna will do anything for me. They seem to have a 50 mile range...

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Dr.HarlemTutu;346228 said:
I'm totally thinking about jumping in the bandwagon with the antenna and then Netflix or the like. I am way up in Greeley though. Do you think the antenna will do anything for me. They seem to have a 50 mile range...
I live in Loveland, in a subdivision surrounded by houses and I find the Mohu Leaf from Amazon works well. I had to place it up high and that seemed to work. I believe they hav a higher range antenna now. I was skeptical, but after 2 years and 2 seasons with Bronco games being crystal clear I am happy.